Jessica asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 month ago

What is your experience with cutting bangs?

Would like to cut bangs at home, but I am so afraid that I will ruin it ......

I wore bangs for years and cut my own a lot of the time. Lots of tips:

Cut dry, not wet. If you must cut wet, make them 1/4 to 3/8 inches longer than you want them.

Section off the bangs carefully, moving the rest of your hair clear.

Cut just a little longer than you want. Really, this works!

Use decent scissors meant for hair.

Learn what the perfect length aligns with, usually a part of the eye or eyebrow. Remember, your face is not symmetrical, so it won't be the same on both eyes.

no experience with cuuting bangs

HAIR

Everything You Need to Know Before Cutting Your Own Bangs

Just because Bella Hadid did it, doesn't mean you should.

By Maddison Glendinning Date April 28, 2020

It’s week seven of social distancing, and chances are that your boredom is beginning to reach its peak. So much so, that many of us are considering cutting our own bangs it would seem – according to Pinterest, searches on how to cut your own bangs are up a huge 102 per cent.

Bella Hadid recently cut her own, and I’m almost 100 per cent positive one of your friends already has but the question remains, should you? To find out if it’s possible to give yourself a new look and not immediately regret it, I reached out to Canadian hairstylist Kirsten Klontz. Before you pick up the scissors, here’s what she had to say:

brush fringe down onto forehead, Get some scissors and cut across

Check out youtube videos first. Then make sure you have hair-cutting scissors, not ones for fabric or paper. And avoid cutting them too short, so they can fixed if you don't like it. 

Personally, I'd just get a clippie and grow them out - I don't like the way bangs make me look "too perky."

There are literally thousands of videos, tutorials, and more on line right now. There are detailed illustrations, troubleshooting guides, diagrams and more. I wish I had that level of helpful advice when I was younger because cutting my own bangs was usually hit-or-miss. I can give you a few things I learned the hard way: 

Never ever place tape across your hair to use as a straight line guide. That's been common home haircut advice given to mothers and it's a way to make your home hair cut  look like mom cut your hair at home.

Hair is longer when wet and shrinks when dry so cut your bangs a little longer than you think you want. 

Bangs should be longer than one half your forehead. Three quarters is a good start but  The closer to the brows the better they look. 

Look up a technique called point cutting on Google and YouTube. There's plenty of how to do it yourself instructions out there. Point cutting will soften up the cut line and will help you avoid the harsh slash across the forehead.

Pros cut hair when wet and touch up the lengths when dry. So should you. Wet hair is easier to cut than dry hair.

When combing hair forward for bangs  to cut them do not go too far up the head.  If you feel your scalp there's a slight ridge and a dip behind it. Don't comb forward past the dent and dip. You hair naturally falls backwards and to the sides from there so your bangs and all your hair will look weird if you bring too much hair forward.

Try to blend the bangs in with the sides of your hair so it frames the face softly without harsh lines or weird hair waves where there should be none.

Lastly, don't cut too much hair. Cut less hair than you think you need. It's better to have hair a bit too long and shaggy so if it's a complete disaster it's easier for a real hair stylist to fix.

• Try using one of those hair cutting kits that shows you how to cut your bangs. If you do a bad job you can get a professional to fix them.