Best guitar turning for jazz?

I have an fender acoustic guitar and it’s standard tuned so it E-A-D-G-B-E and I want set it up for jazz music I’m new to music and really like jazz and want to learn to play jazz guitar I know I have so much to learn and will be hard to learn from YouTube videos but I’m willing to learn even if it’s going to take little longer. I took classes already and learn some basic stuff like strumming and some chords and I have a contemporary class guitar  book that can help me too so what is good beginner tuning for jazz acoustic guitar ? 

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • mars
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Standard-tuning. Could tune down a Half-step like Hendrix. Try Drop-D tuning.

• 2 months ago

You don't tune a guitar for Jazz or any other genre. Be sure it's tuned. You don't play Jazz guitar, you play Jazz on the guitar. You don't say Jazz piano or Jazz trumpet. . All genres of music is play on any instrument. Instead of taking a guitar class, why don't you try private lessons..

• D50
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Ditto. Standard tuning. Master the guitar with standard tuning and only then should you fool around with odd tunings.

• 2 months ago

Any tuning, doesn't matter. Start by learning 999 years worth of theory because jazz is so fxcking complex.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

I've played jazz for years - and never deviated from standard tuning.

I grew up before the Internet, and while there are tons of resources online, I still prefer to learn from a book, because it allows me to eliminate the distraction of a computer/tablet/phone, and allows me to focus more on the instrument.

If you've got a used bookstore nearby, there are almost always a handful of cheap guitar books - including some on jazz, I found a copy of the Hal Leonard Guitar Method for about $5 that I've gone back into several times over the years.

'Jazz' covers a really wide range of stuff - but to get started, you can learn 7th chords, start working on progressions, then learn some scales.  It is a lot of fun - and even if you don't end up playing Jazz, you can take what you learn from it and apply it to other styles.

• Danny
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Ditto Tony B, just use standard tuning. Great that you're interested in jazz guitar, but the best in it have a very thorough grasp of standard instrument skills and applied theory. Not a good idea to deviate into other tunings for now, as you will have to spend some serious time on the basics. A year or two, maybe, but 'standard will have become your foundation by then.

• Tony B
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

Standard tuning: EADGBE.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.