Best guitar turning for jazz?

I have an fender acoustic guitar and it’s standard tuned so it E-A-D-G-B-E and I want set it up for jazz music I’m new to music and really like jazz and want to learn to play jazz guitar I know I have so much to learn and will be hard to learn from YouTube videos but I’m willing to learn even if it’s going to take little longer. I took classes already and learn some basic stuff like strumming and some chords and I have a contemporary class guitar  book that can help me too so what is good beginner tuning for jazz acoustic guitar ? 

• mars

Standard-tuning. Could tune down a Half-step like Hendrix. Try Drop-D tuning.

You don't tune a guitar for Jazz or any other genre. Be sure it's tuned. You don't play Jazz guitar, you play Jazz on the guitar. You don't say Jazz piano or Jazz trumpet. . All genres of music is play on any instrument. Instead of taking a guitar class, why don't you try private lessons..

• D50

Ditto. Standard tuning. Master the guitar with standard tuning and only then should you fool around with odd tunings.

Any tuning, doesn't matter. Start by learning 999 years worth of theory because jazz is so fxcking complex.

I've played jazz for years - and never deviated from standard tuning.

I grew up before the Internet, and while there are tons of resources online, I still prefer to learn from a book, because it allows me to eliminate the distraction of a computer/tablet/phone, and allows me to focus more on the instrument.

If you've got a used bookstore nearby, there are almost always a handful of cheap guitar books - including some on jazz, I found a copy of the Hal Leonard Guitar Method for about $5 that I've gone back into several times over the years.

'Jazz' covers a really wide range of stuff - but to get started, you can learn 7th chords, start working on progressions, then learn some scales.  It is a lot of fun - and even if you don't end up playing Jazz, you can take what you learn from it and apply it to other styles.

• Danny

Ditto Tony B, just use standard tuning. Great that you're interested in jazz guitar, but the best in it have a very thorough grasp of standard instrument skills and applied theory. Not a good idea to deviate into other tunings for now, as you will have to spend some serious time on the basics. A year or two, maybe, but 'standard will have become your foundation by then.

• Tony B

Standard tuning: EADGBE.