Can I upgrade my F150 4speed Transmission to a 6Speed? ?

Hello so I’m not sure if this can be done or not so I thought I’d ask around. I have a 2007 Ford F-150 with the 4.6L V8 and 4speed auto transmission. I was needing to replace it as it’s on the way out but I was wondering if I could upgrade it to a 6Speed from the newer F150 trucks. If it can be done what would I need in order to do it. Thanks Im advance again don’t know if this can be done or not couldn’t really find anything online about it 

No you can't.  Why would even enter your mind to think that?  Tell us exactly why you think your transmission needs to be replaced. 

Everytime we want to upgrade a truck or a car, we sill find all kind of problems because those are not designed for that kind of changes or upgrades, which is better, much better, get the right transmission for your truck and that's it. Another good thing is, when you want to sell the truck, is with her parts, more reliable....

Source(s): Restoration cars and trucks in Canada......
  • bo

cheaper to trade in the truck and find one with the six speed

Source(s): transmission man

The 2 valve 4.6L was never used with the 6R80. The 3 valve was, but that had a different ECU.  While you could probably could do it, it would require an stand alone ECU with custom programming to work with the 6R80, it wouldn't be easy or cheap. 

Not worth it these days trucks are run by computers how do you expect to program the computer to run a 6 speed automatic? It's not that easy. If the truck is still in good condition then find a factory remanufactured 4 speed automatic transmission if the truck is in poor condition then it might not even be worth doing. 

not worth doing.