Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Are used cars owned by rental companies usually beat up badly?

Not in my experience if owned by a major rental chain like Enterprise or Hertz. I thought of setting up my girlfriend with a used car from Enterprise,  so I thoroughly investigated: They do NOT sell a used car under their name if it doesn't pass inspection.  They put a warranty on them. If the car doesn't pass, it gets auctioned-off.

• Most large rental companies auction their cars within a year or two of entering service. Most aren't that badly abused.

NO! Not usually! They buy CHEVIES usually that no one really wants and drive like TAXI CABS! Some SMARTER ONES buy ASAIN cars and FORDS. They are ALL well kept and treated by the companies.  

Pretty much! Rentals are flogged a lot harder than typical personal cars! I once bought a used car that was a Hertz rental car. After a few months of driving it,  the head gasket blew. When I took the heads to the machine shop to be honed and ported, the machinist told me that the heads had about 80,000 more miles on them than what the odometer was reading. He also told me that some of the valves had already been replaced somewhere in the cars past. So apparently some customers were disconnecting the odometer while driving the car. Which means that you never know what you're getting when purchasing a used rental car!

• F

I think “drive it like a rental” is just what idiots say. I drive then more carefully than my own car because most of them try to pick you up in any scratch to extract extra money from you.

I would not buy one.

There is the phrase "drive it like a rental". For the most part people drive rental cars safely because they don't want to crash them, but of course if I'm paying 100/day for a car you bet I'm gonna be hitting redline when merging on any highway and accelerating faster than I normally would.

If you stick with the lower mileage cars (20K range) you should not have too much trouble. They are pulled for maintenance and recalls at the proper intervals, most people don't go crazy driving them so not really a factor. Have a look at the tires though they like to replace with cheap cheap Chinese crap when needed (flat are not repaired they are replaced). 

If you start looking at compacts, especially the Korean cars with +45K plus range they will most likely be worn out. What you need to do is to take the car for a NICE ride on the highway for awhile, shakes will be obvious the feel of steering and braking more pronounced. A good one will feel really tight but I have delivered some that I was glad to be rid of once I arrived at the location and some I could have driven all day happily. (I am talking mostly Korean and occasionally Japanese compacts).

Source(s): Driver for large Rental Company in a large metro regional location where new cars were coming in and used cars sent out to dealers.
  • Rick

no, we've had good luck buying them ..................