Do you haggle with contractors in Australia?

On principle, I always just accept the quoted price without bargaining. It seems ungentlemanly to haggle. If someone tells me the amount they want for a job, then I just pay it. I'm a firm believer in spreading the wealth.

I had car shade put up in front of my house a couple of weeks ago. I just called the contractor, he came out and gave a quote of 6,500QR which I agreed to. It was only after they started that I realised I hadn't asked the compound for permission to do it. It's not my house or land. They told me the poles were too far out from the wall and I could only have shade reaching 3 meters into the street. They had to reset the poles and charged me 1,000QR for the cost of the cement. Cement doesn't cost anywhere near 1,000QR but I paid it because it was my bad.

I got my car painted recently too and they asked for 4,750QR which I agreed to. That is a good price for original paint. It would have cost me about 8,000QR if I took it to BMW. They only let me pay them 4,500QR though because they told me I was supposed to ask for a discount. Asking for a discount is un-British in my opinion.

I know many cultures, like Indian, Pakistani and Australian, are penny-pinchers though. The Australians always slink off to the bathroom when it is their round. I find it disrespectful when people ask me for a discount. I have set fees for my time and expertise, you can take it or leave it. Wragling is a sign of weakness, but I imagine Australians do it all the time.

@Dildo: It was a typo, it should have read 'wrangling'. Why do you need everything spelled out for you?

@Old Timer: It's true. I always take my cars to Sharif, a Bangladeshi bloke who gets me good deals from various garages. It costs an arm and a leg to run a BMW, I actually regret buying it. Piece of sh!t German engineering, it keeps falling apart. I'm a regular customer of his, so he wants to keep me happy. That is just good business sense.

Regwah: You live in Australia....what do you expect? You are all shameless.

we get a few quotes ..but  its a free country here ..we can do what we want ..

You are one, prize oxygen theif.

I don't haggle, I get more than one quote.

If everyone slinked off to the bathroom when it's their shout no one would ever have a drink, you makes no sense. lol

The poms I meet here in Australia are toothless piss heads straight out of Shameless, I'm sure they think they're better than anyone else though, just like you.

Our highly educated English waiter last night fluffed around & looked like an older Mr Bean, oh how we laughed, you guys really are the funniest like you said.

Smartest, fumiest, most accepting people in the whole world, no wonder your head is so far up your coit.

Your shout for a BA/FA mate, don't slink off.

No need to because  i do not use Lebanese contractors 

Yes always Haggle with a quote

on my third quote i haggled and got a Pensioner discount of $50

the Other 2 were Higher and No Discount

• Regwah

Tosser        .

You do it your way half wit and don't worry about anybody else.

What is Wragling" ?

Another great xenophobic post half wit.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is certainly on show again

Reg was spot on.

O C D s something else he suffers from Reg.

"I always just accept the quoted price without bargaining. It seems ungentlemanly to haggle. If someone tells me the amount they want for a job, then I just pay it"

Lots of people are like you as soon as someone wants to haggle and penny pinch we don't go back or bother to answer their calls or emails. We only do small jobs in houses a couple of grand usually. We give the best price we can  theres no fat if asked can we do it cheaper thats asking us to lower the rate we pay ourselves, the price of fuel , materials  and the time it takes doesn't get any less.