Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 4 weeks ago

What focal length lens do you think I needed for this photo?

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Why are you hiding behind chickenshit anonymity to ask such a question?

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Judging from the angle of view, with grass all around, that's a relatively close shot. APS-C? Maybe 50mm at around 20 ft. while standing on the ground or 200mm at around 80 ft. on a stool or a boulder? Anything longer would require you to be higher unless you want the horizon to appear in the background.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

For wildlife, I use 200 to 500mm on an APS-C body. Depending on how tame the wildlife is, you can get by with something less than 500mm. Blue herons in rural areas tend to be fairly tame (can get within 50 feet).

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

With wildlife, there's no such thing as too short of a focal length.  What I would suggest you do is to go to 500px.com and do a search for the types of animals you want to photograph.  Then click on the images you think are great.  By doing this you can then see which camera/lens combo was used to make the photo.  This will give you definitive proof as to which focal length and format (APS-C vs Full Frame) will be best for your needs and expectations. 

If you are the type of person who typically shoots at a zoo, you will likely be able to get acceptable results with a shorter (e.g. 200-300mm) focal length than someone who goes out to a wildlife sanctuary.  This is because you can get a lot closer to the subject at a zoo than out in the wild.  Thus someone who isn't shooting at a zoo will need a 400-800+ focal length to achieve the same results.

Now with that said, what you need and what you can afford are often two very different things. 

Here's a link to 500px.com where I did a search for "crane:" https://500px.com/search?q=crane&type=photos  Some of the shots are made with a modest 70-200 zoom while others were made with 400mm+ prime lenses.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • snafu
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

200/300mm. Full frame

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.