Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

is it illegal to post on someone's Facebook wall and tell everyone she does not pay her debts ?

I want my money 

Update:

it's not defamation if it is true, right?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Here's what I wrote for Yahoo some time ago (and, yes, it's my work, not copied).  If someone would sue based on a FB post the person who made the posting would need to be 100% sure that every word of the post is true.  "Not pay any debts" may not be true.  "Not pay you" may be 100% the truth.  You would need to be very careful.

"In general defamation is a false statement to a third person, in print (or images).

Slander is a false statement to a third person in “words.” Gossip falls into this category.

Libel is also defamation if words or images are involved - not spoken.

Printed words or images are necessary in a claim to prove slander and libel.

For either definition to be applicable the statement must be largely (not 100%) false.

However, “public disclosure of private facts” is also actionable. This also includes invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress, misleading statements - not 100% false but definitely misleading.

Depending on location these can be civil or criminal matters.

In order to win a lawsuit the Plaintiff (the person slandered, libeled) has to meet proofs: he/she was injured by the statement (usually financial loss or loss of status), the statement(s) is(are) untrue, if the person who expressed the slander/libel had checked they would have known it was not true. In some cases the Plaintiff must prove that the statement was made to cause intentional harm, that the person who made the statements knew they would cause harm.

There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person must prove that the statement was false, caused harm, and was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. "

• 1 month ago

As long as you have provable concrete evidence that this person really owes you money that they are refusing to pay you back you would probably beat a defamation law suit against you.

• 1 month ago

It is not illegal, per se.

You will go to Facebook jail for anywhere from 60 days to life.

The person can sue you in civil court for public defamation. The fact that it is true is of no consequence

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That's not a good approach. You'll come off as a blue meany. Better to sue the beyotch. Seriously though, you could say she hasn't paid YOU back, but not that she doesn't pay her debts (because you don't have evidence of that).

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.