I need some help because this might be a false positive for an STD. Read description?

Hello, Today my doctor had called me. Told me the results of my tests for and STD's and I was negative for all the STD's. The doctor has told me I was positive for HSV 2. which is herpes. Mind you I was negative for HSV 1. I looked at things on google. But I never slept with somebody outside of my relationship and he hasn't either and I know when he is lying to me. He isn't lying to me. In my gut feeling I feel like it is a false positive. Because how come HSV 1 tested negative but the HSV 2 is tested positive. Do you think it can be a false positive? I also want to say is that I am asking them to take my blood again and test me again just for that. I always check my private parts and nothing. I always take good care of myself. What should I do? Im so hurt right now I don't know how to describe it. Someone help me

HSV1 and HSV2 are two different strains. You certainly don't have to have one in order to have the other. 

It could still be a false positive, but not based on that logic. 

In case someone doesn't know what a supplemental testing means but it's a test for the antigen of the virus. A person still needs to get tested every 6 months after doing any kind of STD testing. Even if they come out negative. It just means you do not have any sores or the virus but the test for the antigen will confirm that you were once infected years ago. As one person commented they will do a skin test of the sores or lesions as well as the antigen test. Yes, it's scary to have herpes. It's not curable. There is a antiviral drug but it just slows the outbreaks not the virus itself. This is for those who have gone through any STD testing and looking for more answers. A person can have STD and it can be in a dominant stage meaning there is no sores or lesions but the virus is contiguous.

UPDATE!!!! I DONT HAVE HSV 2 the lab doctor has talked to me and explained the supplemental test!! And the supplemental test is negative meaning I don’t got it

• kelvin

no you need to prove that your boyfriend isn't sleeping around

I don't understand the logic of going to a doctor and telling them to test you for STD's and then when you get a positive go into denial by saying that that can't be possible because he hasn't slept with anybody else. If that can't be then why did you go to the doctor in the first place?

Normally STD testing is symptom based or when an unknown exposure happens such as a one night stand. That doesn't seem to apply here. 

Herpes serology is no longer routinely done with STD's panels because people don't care about it or I should say can't do anything about it and so it rarely alters future sexual activity for them. If they break out with symptoms they just stop during that period. Studies show that people don't care about herpes unless they breakout regularly and they seek treatment for those breakouts and that is when testing is normally undertaken with swabs of lesions and not blood tests which simply shows that one was exposed to the virus and not whether they have an active outbreak now or whether they will suffer active breaks in the future. 

It's also awkward when one does not suffer regular outbreaks and then feels obligated in telling future partners that you tested positive with blood tests. 

It might be a false positive but you won't know depending on how strong the numbers are on the report. The numbers show whether they are weak positive where most of the false positives fall in or if it is a strong positive where most true positive fall into. If it is a false positive then that again is another reason why you don't test for herpes in someone without outbreaks. 

For people out there if you have outbreaks then get the lesion tested for herpes but if you don't have any outbreaks or lesions to test then don't get serology tests. There's technical problems in performing the assay and the clinical use of finding true positives and false positives and conveying those results to people has not altered personal decision making and so it was stopped as a routine practice of including herpes serology for STD's as a panel. 

"Genital herpes is common. Why doesn’t CDC recommend testing everyone for this STD?

CDC does not recommend herpes testing for people without symptoms. This is because diagnosing genital herpes in someone without symptoms has not shown any change in their sexual behavior (e.g., wearing a condom or not having sex) nor has it stopped the virus from spreading. Also, false positive test results (test results that say you have herpes when you do not actually have the virus) are possible. Even if you do not have symptoms, you should talk openly and honestly about your sexual history with your doctor to find out if you should be tested for any STDs, including herpes."

https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/screening.htm

Don’t bother getting blood tested again as it’s hard to interpret it isn’t the actual virus it’s antibodies. If you ever get lesions they swab for the actual virus. That is definitive. 

Anything is possible, but it being a false positive is not probable.  

Both are life-long conditions, so you could have gotten it years ago.  If you got it from your boyfriend he could have gotten it years ago.  Did he get tested as well?  If not that is probably first thing you should do.

If I had a dollar every time I heard "He/She isn't lying to me" when they actually were I could retire and buy that private island.  

You can of course get tested again, but if it comes up positive you can't really deny it then.