What does it mean when a job application is "pending" or "under review"?

I submitted job applications for a company. Under one of the positions that I applied for weeks ago, it says "pending". What is it pending?

The other position that I applied to at the same company says "under review."

What is the difference between application pending and under review? What does it mean?

The job that I applied to a couple of days ago says under review. 

Pending means that  your application has been seen, and now Human Resources  decides whether you are a good fit or not..

Under review means the application is being viewed by  the hiring manager, as pertains to your best skills set

and experience that fit the job requirements.

Pending means they received your application but didn't even bother to read it.  Under review means they've opened an active corruption investigation.

it means theyre still thinking about it

Pending means they haven't read it yet.  under review means they're reading it.  if thats the status after weeks you should look elsewhere.  it's not a good sign.

• ?

that theyre still thinking about it

Pending means they haven't seen it yet.