Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Can you use the word "hale" to describe a harvest?

As in "...the smell of hale earth and early harvest"

Or is it reserved for physicality and health and such?

hale1

/hāl/

adjective

(of a person, especially an elderly one) strong and healthy.

"he's only just sixty, very hale and hearty"

According to dictionary.com, hale is only regarding a person.

No, we don't use 'hale' in that context.

You could use: "the wonderful scent of the good earth and early harvest."There is indeed a specific smell to damp and newly turned soil, it's called 'petrichor' and arises from streptomycete bacteria producing geosmin. 

I have never come across 'hale' in connection with harvests.

In Britain the only use I know of for 'hale' is in the fixed expression, 'hale and hearty', describing a person who is in 'rude good health' (another fixed expression). I know of no other use for 'hale'. You cannot say that a person is 'hale' in normal everyday speech.

My dictionary tells me that 'hale' is a survivor from Old English as a northern variant of 'whole'.

I strongly suggest that you should not use even 'hale and hearty' until you have seen it at least 6 times in writings by native speakers, so that you can understand how it is used.  Certainly never use 'hale' on its own.  If your teacher insists on your using 'hale' on its own then that teacher should not be teaching English.

There are several two-word fixed expressions in English, some of which have words not now used in any other way.

i dont see why not

I wouldn't do it.