Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

Why does my IP address change with I go from WiFi to LTE network? ?

My WiFi IP address never changes but if I switch to LTE network it changes?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

When you are connected to WiFi, it have got your ISP (internet service provider) IP. And most of the time these ip are static until your Router is rebooted.

But in LTE Network case (here your SIM Network is the ISP, and they have their own ip addresses), here you don't have ROUTER like in your WiFi Router in home internet connection. So whenever you switch LTE network, it's like a router restart for your mobile device so it get's a new IP Address. 

• ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

uncle pennybags is exactly right. 

• 1 month ago

An IP address isn't like a phone number, it changes depending on the "network" you connect to.  Your WiFi network is one network, the WiFi at McDonalds is a different network, the cellular service is a different network.  Connect to a friends WiFi you will get a different IP address.

Think of it like getting mail delivered.  If you want to receive mail at your work it needs to be addressed to your work address, not your home address.

There aren't enough IPv4 addresses for every person in the world to have a unique one.  That is one of motivations for IPv6, lots more IP addresses - but.....the way IPv6 works your address will still change all the time.

• 1 month ago

That sounds normal. Most internet providers assign you a dynamic public IP address. However, even though it is dynamic, it may not necessarily change unless you get a new modem/router.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Of course it does.  You have switched Internet Service Providers and your IP address is derived from their service.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

On WiFi your IP address is assigned by your router. On LTE it is assigned by the cell tower, As you move from cell to cell it keeps changing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.