Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 4 weeks ago

Astronomy.. Are we living in a Simulation?? Neil Degrasse Tyson and Elon say it's VERY possible?? ?

I'm into Astronomy but I'm new to it and I've seen a bunch of people say reality is simply a Simulation.. Surely not,right? It worries me and the fact these super smart scientists agree w this idea makes me wonder.. Is this the truth? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Robert
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Actually it's conclusions like this that have caused many to wonder if string theory hasn't fallen down the well.   String theory MIGHT lead one to believe that but MANY think there is something wrong with string theory if this is what it predicts.

• Adam D
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's irrelevant.  There are 2 choices here.

We're in a simulation.  Do you see evidence of a simulation?  A simulation as advanced as this (reality as we know it) with no evidence of being a simulation is indistinguishable from reality.  Reality obeys the rules we have observed for all of human existence.

We're not in a simulation.  This is reality.  Reality obeys the rules we have observed for all of human existence.

• 4 weeks ago

No we are not.

Common sense is is impossible.

Musk is a businessman. What would he know about astronomy.

• D50
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

It's a ridiculous idea. It's like the Creationists claiming that God created the Earth complete with a fossil record and geology showing that it was not created instantly. "Homer didn't write the Iliad. It was some other guy by the same name."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

No.  Simulation is possible for us to some extent although it becomes exponentially harder with each subatomic particle added.  Now imagine the real Universe assuming we are in a simulation.  That Universe would have several simulations going, each of which would have several and so on, forking over and over again until the largest number of simulations would be taking place in simulations where further simulation was impossible.  We are not in any of those simulations even though they'd be the majority, so the probability that we are in a simulation is low.  Also, the three-body problem is hard enough, let alone the octillion-body problem that is the Universe, and simulation does not imply consciousness in that simulation.

• 4 weeks ago

No ,Trump is still president -- for the time being .

• 4 weeks ago

Its is impossible to know if we are in a simulation or not. Everything that we can see or touch or detect might be part of the simulation. A video game character who became conscious would not know he was in a game. He could never discover anything outside of the game. He could not know about the computer or the tv screen. We might be in that very situation. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.