Are my parents right when they tell me that I'm crazy for wanting a job as a doorman?

I went to college, got a CPA, and now work as an accountant in a private firm. I've had three accounting jobs so far since I graduated college and all of them were stressful. And it's not so much the stress, but the workload is really a lot. Even during off peak times, workload is still a lot and it makes it hard to take vacation because if I were to take a week off, then a week's load of work will accumulate until I get back. And that's very stressful. Not to mention that I work long hours too with no overtime since I'm exempt.

I live in a co-op apartment that has a doorman and can't help but envy their job. All they do is sit there and open the door for people, with very little responsibilities. And they can take vacation any time as long as someone can substitute their shift. And workload doesn't accumulate during their vacation. Not to mention they only work 8 hour shifts and if they have to work overtime, they get paid extra.

So I'm thinking of quitting my job as accountant and becoming a doorman. Sure the pay is less than what I make, but does that really matter if I'm stressed out like I am now. I think my sanity matters more than the money in my bank account. But when I broke this news to my parents, they got angry at me telling me why I want to move to a job with no ambition.

Are my parents right when they get angry at me for wanting to become a doorman job?

So for the rest of your working life you will be earning minimum wage plus the occasional tip, opening the door for other people, standing out in the rain flagging cabs.

As far as sanity is concerned, you will go crazy with boredom in no time.

And they make minimum wage, and will always make not much more than minimum wage.  And you would be bored silly, and your circle of friends would reflect the kind of work you do.   Learn how to handle stress and a huge workload.  You can only do so much in one day.  The rest will have to wait until the next day.  It's that simple.

Well son they simply aimed for the stars, wanted the world for you......and planned for you to become a sanitation engineer. 

Doing a brainless job for a few hours or days maybe ok.

Doing it for weeks and years = drudgery.