Are websites from the 1970's really from the 1970's or are they just time-stamped?

If we search for something on google, (I searched Stephen Hawking) there are results dated way back in 1970. Try using custom search and toggle the date between 1960-1970 there's just so many results from the 1970's that makes me wonder. Were these websites really built in the 1970's or are the written recently and just time-stamped to 1970?

Source:

https://www.google.com/search?q=stephen+hawking&ne...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • L.N.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Your example was originally published in a scientific journal in 1970. It was republished  as a web page much more recently. If you look at the sidebar:

History:

Manuscript received 30/04/1969

Published online 01/01/1997

Published in print 27/01/1970

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

if you open the pages, you will see that those dates are the publication date of the LITERATURE, not the website.

since Mr. Hawking was alive then, i would say that is legitimate.

• 1 month ago

There were no web sites in the 1970s.

HTTP, the protocol which is what makes the worldwide web possible was invented in 1989.

• opurt
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Considering the World Wide Web first was available on what passed for the internet in 1990, I'd have to say anything that says the 70s would be misconfigured servers with wrong dates, or deliberately backdated.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Yes. They were created on the ProtoWeb, using only Fortran and COBOL.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.