How do I screw in this part into the radiator?

So based on some recommendations to turn off the radiator when the room gets too warm, I was turning in the direction the cap said to close. It felt really smooth for some reason. Then I lift it up only to find out that it is not screwed into the radiator so obviously I cannot close the radiator now. My question is how do I properly screw this into the radiator valve? And no not the air valve where it hisses but the part that connects the radiator to the entire heating system. Also known as the supply valve. It's a one pipe steam radiator system and this apartment was built before 1900. If you're wondering why I decided to close is because the radiator is off at the moment since the outside temperature is above 55 degrees.

Should I have the building super take a look at it and let him fix it instead?

I think you have the wrong cap.  The square part of the stem is supposed to go up in the cap and a small screw goes through the cap and into the stem from above.  You MIGHT try setting the cap on the stem so that the 'knurls' inside the cap rest against the flat sides of the stem, THEN tighten the small screw on the side so that it presses firmly against another of the flat sides.  If properly installed, it *may* help you adjust the valve.  Otherwise, i suggest you get the correct cap. 

• y

Valves that have been in one position for a long time, tend to start leaking when one starts to play with them. So opening and closing that valve, could end up giving you even more issues then you you have now.

Look at the stem sticking up, it's square, the handle that fits on it will also be square and have a center screw to keep it in place.  A service wrench can also do the trick.  Radiators get hot with either water or steam going through them. They rely on passive air flow to distribute that heat to the room.Hot air rises, cold sinks, cold goes through the bottom, heats, and comes out the top creating the air cycle.  Block the air flow, not on the radiator directly, and you'll slow down the heat transfer from the radiator.  Just another option.

Just use a wrench nut-looking but that sits under the cap that doesn't fit.

• Barry

You can use a small adjustable wrench to close the valve as necessary. However you really need a valve cap that fits the square spindle.

• Goerge

Yes, if you are renting or leasing it is NOT your responsibility to fix things like the radiator, toilet or ANYTHING electrical that is part of the building. Doing anything like that is an invitation to get evicted, burned alive or simply cause one he|| of an explosion. More often than not residents and tenants apply some short term band-aid fix and ends up making it worse.