What is the truth about Marie Antoinette?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Ludwig
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

She really did spend money like water.  And yes, the famous necklace was one of the things she was responsible for the purchase of, the story that she baulked at the expense is a whitewash.

• 4 weeks ago

"Lomax" is mostly correct, while "Ghosts" is wrong.  When Rousseau wrote of the unnamed "great lady", it has since been determined that this lady was Madame de Pompadour, who was Official First Mistress of King Louis XV from 1745-51.  She remained a court favourite until her 1764 death.  She's reputed to have said the words or a close approximation  in 1759.  

• 4 weeks ago

If you've never been there I strongly suggest you visit the Carnavelet Museum in Paris... Occupying two stately, adjoining 16th Century mansions, the Carnavalet is a museum dedicated to the history of Paris from its origins as a riverside village in Roman times all the way to modern times.

In a typical French manner, each era is depicted in an egalitarian matter that sometimes comes across as "coldly academic" to foreigners raised on dramatic tales of hunchbacks, musketeers, pimpernels and torch bearing mobs crying "off with his head!"

The section on the Revolution was on the ground floor the last time I visited and consisted largely of documents, artworks and personal effects (the closest thing they had to "gory" was a rusty guillotine blade from the period mounted on the wall.

Tucked away in an alcove by the stairs in a seemingly low-traffic area, I found a low glass case covered with a cloth to protect its contents from the light. Seeing no signs I lifted the cloth and took a deep breath.

The case contained a silver hand mirror, some combs, a case containing a lock of hair and a delicate pair of silk shoes...all belonging to Marie Antoinette.  The hair was still a greyish blonde and the shoes seemed so small (I'd guess they were only size 4 or 5).  The items were so simple, but in that moment Marie Antoinette went from being a character in countless stories and histories to a real person.

So what was the truth about Marie Antoinette?

She was a real, live human being once.... a child forced to "grow up" before she was 14.  A woman that experienced great luxuries but also tremendous sorrow and torment.  She lived, she loved, she hoped, she feared....just like anyone else.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Just Google it.  There is a great deal of information.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lomax
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

She never said "Let them eat cake" or anything like it.

In the first place, the French phrase was "Qu'ils mangeant du brioche." Brioche does not mean cake (that would be Gateau). Instead it was a rather superior type of bread, enriched with butter and eggs, for which there is no convenient English word. Brioche was more expensive than the common Pain of the peasants.

However, the phrase "Qu'ils mangeant du brioche" was never said by Marie Antoinette (her birth name was Maria Antonia, by the way) but first appeared in a work by Jean-Jacques Rousseau. He claimed (and there is no evidence to support this) that the phrase was once said by a "Great Lady" he didn't see fit to name.

Rousseau wrote this accusation when Marie Antoinette was a) about twelve years old and b) still living with her family in Austria.

However, someone later broadcast the story that Marie Antoinette HAD said this, and since, in the middle of a revolution, no-one is too concerned with Truth, the mud has stuck.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The truth? She was the last queen of France and Navarre before the French Revolution. She was born an archduchess of Austria and was youngest daughter of Empress Maria Theresa and Emperor Francis I. She became dauphine of France in May 1770 at age 14 upon her marriage to Louis-Auguste, heir apparent to the French throne. On 10 May 1774, her husband ascended the throne as Louis XVI and she became queen.  Then things started going down hill and she ended up being beheaded.

• She never said "Let them eat cake."

The law was that if bakers ran out of bread, they had to sell brioche at the same price.  When Marie Antoinette asked why the peasants were revolting she was told "They have no bread"  Bearing in mind that French was not her first language, she understood that to mean that the bakers had run out rather than the peasantry couldn't afford the stuff.  So she replied "Don't they have any brioche?"

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

She had a beehive on her head with curls. 🥴

Im so not joking.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.