What's so special about Merc and BMW vs Toyota and Honda?

Toyotas and Hondas are much more reliable, cheaper to maintain, and have a bunch of great technology. For Merc and BMW, you're paying more just to get a luxury interior, which I think is the only positive to having a German luxury. Apart from that, they cost an arm and a leg to maintain and service because they are overly engineered. My dad has been driving Corollas since I was 4 yrs old, now I'm 23 and he still drive a 2001 Corolla, and a 2011 Corolla for weekend cruises. I've driven both Merc and BMWs for work, I used to work as a car detailer for a collision center and had to drive a lot of cars, some of which were Merc and BMWs. They are only a tad bit more luxurious, nothing specially noticeable to me. 

I just don't understand, why do people drive these luxury German cars that literally just look good on the inside, but for all that, they are paying 3x more to maintain it.

Its because many people live in the past, Merc and BMW were considered luxury brands long long before any Japanese cars, the idea just sticks with many people. Look at any Honda or Toyota before 2000, they look pretty basic and functional, you dont get an impression of luxury do you,  then look at them now there is really nothing that Merc and BMW have that *** cars dont. 

• F

Honda NSX? Competes with anything Mercedes or BMW make. Lexus part of Toyota , the LFA is a supercar in anyone’s book.

Conversely Mercedes and BMW make some pretty ordinary cars. A Mercedes A118d shares a 1.5 l Renault Diesel engine with a Dacia Sandero. 

And the BMW 2 series tourer is a bland people carrier.

Here's the difference - luxury brands push the tech/engineering/tuning envelope harder than say Honda or Toyota in new cars.  It's not just the interior quality that's better - their engines tend to make more power, their suspensions are more sophisticated, the in-car tech is several degrees more complex etc.  New and complex isn't proven and has more fail points but some people pay a premium for new/complex.    

• CB

The main reason is the perceived quality of the women that will ride in them. 

I guess you have never driven one. Like night and day. Toyotas ride like crap, are plain vanilla mundane cars for the masses made as cheaply as possible and still portray reliability. Just ignore the broken door handles and other cheap parts that break.. Nothing luxurious or refined at all about one.

• Barry

You forgot about Lexus the luxury arm of Toyota. Not all drivers want the same from their car. MB and BMW are the choice of millions. They can't all be wrong.

They do feel good and the interior is where the driver spends the time.  They look good to the neighbors.  It does something for the ego that the owner can mention that their car is the Mercedes not the Corolla.