If 8468 words gives me 22 pages, how many more do I need to write to get to 23 pages, especially when my line spacing is half a line?

• Zac Z

I'll be cheeky and say that if the 8468 words make the 22 pages full, you'll just need one more word to get to 23 pages!

If you want to know how many words correspond to 23 full pages, that's simple math:

8469 / 22 * 23 ≈ 8854

The caveat here is that a "word" doesn't have a fixed length. There's words like "I", "a" or "he", but there's also "hydroxychloroquine" and "compartmentalization". Just change your main character's name from "Ken" or "Al" to "Slartibartfast" could change the page count if the story is long enough.

You average about 385 words per page. That's what you need.

There is no correct answer, Dan, unless you are using a non-proportional font like Courier New, no paragraph indentations, and no incomplete lines--basically, a wall of text.

Examples:

I knocked.

She answered. “Hi.”

“Hello.”

“Please come in.”

“Thanks.”

That fills five lines of a book. It’s ten words.

The mirror reminds me why I don’t sleep on wet hair. I shower, washing my hair then searching in vain for my hair dryer, no doubt stowed neatly somewhere that made sense to Wyatt when he did it. It’s definitely not in the bathroom or the linen closet. All I can do is let it air-dry flat while I put on mascara and renew my fretting. I can’t imagine Wyatt doing anything the would involve a call to a criminal defense attorney.

That fills five lines of a book. It’s 82 words.

It's also worth noting that the word count/page count ratios you may find online are not based on literal words but on strings of six characters, including spaces, long used to determine typing speeds in words-per-minute.

• Andrew

You know how many words you have total... And you know how many pages you've got... It would be rather easy to calculate how many you'd need to fill out one more page. Obviously you don't have exactly the same number of words on a page to begin with, but figuring out the average would be a cinch for anybody with half a brain. Why don't you try and fit 8,469, you know, just for kicks? Maybe change the font size, we all know you love tinkering with that shite. 

What does your math teacher say?