Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

If you're looking through someone's bookshelf, what books mean someone could be an Atheist? ?

I know about Atlas Shrugged and Karl Marx, but are there any other red flags to be aware of? 

Atlas Shrugged means they misunderstand libertarianism. Marx means they are a dirty communist or took a Sociology class. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods, so look for books about that. 

• Nous

Are you totally without basic education?   Why would an atlas come into it do you think Christians are too unintelligent to use one?  As for Marx he was a life long Christian, had a CHRISTIAN funeral and his remains buried in the CHRISTIAN Highgate cemetery in London!!!!!!!

• God

The Demon Haunted World and other books by Carl Sagan. 

I happened to have grown up in a preachers family, so I happen to know what kind of books one might find in even a devout Christians book self.

So I can safely say that what is on the bookshelf does not dictate if the person is an atheist or not.

To know how to refute a concept, one must know the concept or ideology. This requires reading the book or books that might be relevant on the subject matter. While getting them from a public library or on line might be expedient, Dad like to mark his up and make notes in them.

So don't judge a person by the cover of their books! Many an atheist has a bigger library of theology then a lot of theorist. 

• JASON

I've got a lot of magic books, books on science and maths, art, and serial killers.

Seriously? The only thing Rand and Marx agreed upon was their disdain for faith. Also exactly which book book do you take issue with? The communist manifesto is only a few pages long his economic text is read by nearly no one because it's just an outdated economics text which was outdated when it was published. So I am curious which book of him you have seen on a shelf.

As a theist you might have trouble grasping this concept but here goes: you can be an atheist and not a communist you can be an atheist and not an objectivist. All atheism means is the disbelief in god.

What's more many people, including myself, have read both the communist manifesto and the works of Rand. Just because I read a thing doesn't mean I agree. It means only that I read it.

We're longtime atheists and have a Bible, and I don't think I own Atlas Shrugged, although I've read it.

You think atheists don't read books with religious themes? Or that we all enjoy books celebrating our lack of beliefs? That's just silly.

One of my favorite science fiction books has a priest questioning his faith as its central character. It's fascinating.

The holy bible.

I went to a (very) Catholic university. In my Russian History course, The Communist Manifesto was required reading. I kept nearly all of my textbooks. Catholics encourage thought.

Atlas Shrugged just means someone like small government.  It doesn't mean they're atheist.  In fact, ALOT of Christians are conservatives, and Ayn Rand is very popular among conservatives and libertarians.  I'm libertarian and atheist, but many are not atheist, so this is not a good proxy.  BTW, I read Atlas Shrugged and thought it was terrible.  1-dimensional characters, zero character growth or change over the course of the story, and an overly simplistic worldview of the statist's desires and intent.

Marx is also not a GREAT proxy for atheism as, again, not all atheists are Marxists.  It is true that Marx was anti-religion, calling it the Opium of the People (typically said as Opiate of the Masses).  However this ignores some of Marx's other works that were in favor of spirituality.  Plus Marxism has inspired so many sub-groups that to claim that they are all atheist would be naïve.

Further, owning a book doesn't mean the person even subscribes to that principle.  I borrowed it from the Library, but I read Das Kapital.  And I'm a libertarian, as far from Marx on political economy and ideology as you're going to get.

You're trying to generalize about things you don't seem to understand.  My advice - read the literature of the 'other side' and get familiar with their mindsets.  You may discover ideas you agree with in part or in whole, but at a minimum you'll learn better how to argue against it because you'll actually understand them.