Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Does God exist?

I am neither theist nor an atheist. I am just really confused if my life actually has a purpose and how the world came to exist. Like did God create the world or a big bang? Like wouldn't something have to create the big bang because I don't know how something can come from nothing? If not a god then do you believe that something exists outside of the material world, like anything supernatural? I honestly hate stupid religious traditions that don't make sense but maybe a divine being could have created the Earth. I just hate how religious customs are today. Lastly, I learned that my body is just a collection of atoms and molecules, and nothing else. Really make me feel worthless like my thoughts are irrelevant and just governed by the laws of physics.  

• Paul

God created everything else that exists. You are exactly correct - if the Big Bang occurred, God was its source. No natural event can occur without a pre-existing cause. Since matter, energy, time and space all came into existence in the Big Bang, there could not have been any preceding natural entity that could have caused the event. Yes, our bodies are biologically similar to that of animals, especially primates. However, humans are not just biological creatures. What sets us apart is our spiritual nature and immortal soul.

The evidence is undeniable: There is a great First Cause. God really does exist. He has indeed performed countless miracles. Some men, in the name of science, would reject miracles. However, as the English poet Cowper once observed: “All we behold is miracle, but seen so [regularly], all is miracle in vain”​—but not to those who acknowledge that God really does exist!

God exists when you believe and begins to watch your every deed. Not many people are interested in why they are here and how did the world get here. A lot of people simply live. They exist for the fact of existing, and don't care much about the unknown as to them it's irrelevant to make speculations on a world of which they are uncertain of its origin. Fear + doubt = cowardice. That's why so many people are risk averse and stay in their comfort zone. In fact, people hate doubt so much that they would rather be passive in life than active. "Lastly, I learned that my body is just a collection of atoms and molecules, and nothing else. Really make me feel worthless like my thoughts are irrelevant and just governed by the laws of physics" - what determines worth and gives a thing value?  

Yes he does exist. But you need to prove it to yourself,and the way you do that is to study God's word. We read at 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight,* for disciplining in righteousness. Yes by deep study and meditation on God's word you to can come to believe in God and come to appreciate all that he do for us now and the wonderful future he has plan for us.

• Raja

God is an ever existing eternal supreme being. All human beings are created beings. (The word 'created' is self-explanatory.) That doesn't comes under natural way of life. Humans are not natural but unnatural beings. I mean humans are just robots made of flesh and bones. There may be several eternal beings which knew neither death nor birth and God must be the chief of these eternal beings. IN FACT THIS IS THE REAL EVER EXISTING PHENOMENON. Human beings can think only like human beings. Their thoughts and intelligence are limited. To know and discover more they must come out of what religions and people have created in their minds and think freely and independently.

I am a living evidence for the existence of God. If you know me, you will understand.

You are living in a miraculous era of God which has started in the year 1950 and going to end as soon as I died. I am connected to all creatures including human beings and spirits internally by God. The people who have born in this era cannot realize this miracle because they have born with it.

God never bothers whether people believe in him or not. God’s intervention in human affairs is very rare. God doesn't watch each and every human being at the same time and cannot live with each and everyone to guide them. These works are done by the spirits. God had created different kinds of spirits for various purposes. He had made the spirits to watch, guide and determine the destiny of the human beings from their daily activities, talks and thoughts too. Your past determines your present and your present determines your future. God has given freewill to all creatures including human beings. According to this, all human beings have all right to live a life as they wish. But if it happens to be bad and hurts someone, they have to face the consequences. These consequences are created by spirits. It's a natural system. After death no one lives in any form. Heaven and hell are only for spirits, not for human beings. God is a mystery even to the spirits. Spirits are not eternal beings but their lifetime is long. Spirits are separate elements. A human being during his/her lifetime is living with many spirits which have joined one by one since birth. They are knowledge, skills, feelings, emotions, interests and everything. These spirits are your consciousnesses and memories. Even thoughts are not your own. For example, when you want to take a decision on a subject, one after another the spirits think and you just listen, choose or reject the ideas which they transmit to your mind through your brain in the form of thoughts. Brain is just a media to connect the spirits to your mind. A mind is just a computer's mind. A mind is you. After the destruction of a computer completely you will not get it's mind. The same is the case with the human beings. A human being doesn't have a spiritual body. Soul is nothing but an energy needed for the functionality of a body. It is not a spirit or anything else. A body's functionality is based on the auto mechanism. After death all spirits which accompanied a person quit and go to different places searching new bodies. No one lives after death in any form. All human beings are just robots made of flesh and bones and toys of the spirits for their games.

Yes, he does.  Every year millions experience him for themselves.  You should, too.  It's the logical thing to do.  Don't bother moving the goalposts.  It's more evidence than atheists have to shore up their fantasy that there is no God. 

And it doesn't necessarily have to be just sensations or feelings.  I have seen miraculous healings in response to prayer.

• BJ

The Bible account of creation hinges on the fact that there is a Supreme Being, Almighty God, who created all things. He is the Creator of all things, but most people know very little about him.

God is a person, an individual. He is not a vague force devoid of personality, floating aimlessly throughout the universe. He has thoughts, feelings, and goals.

God has infinite power and wisdom. This explains the complex design found everywhere in creation, especially in living things.

God created all physical matter. Hence, he cannot be made of physical elements that he himself has created. Rather, he is of a spiritual, or nonphysical, nature.

God’s existence is not limited by time. He has always existed and will always exist. Hence, no one created him.

Nothing could exist , for unless a God intervened the chances of life even evolving would be less than 10 to the 123 power

Alright, lot to unpack there.  Let's take it one bit at a time.

1) Does God exist?

What we can say for sure is that no evidence for God exists.  Most theists will admit this and say that is why it's called faith, though some just wave their hand and say the universe itself is evidence...which is devoid of any logic.  

Given that there is no evidence to support any given religion, it would be irrational to pick one at random.  They all say the others are false beliefs anyway.  But ask yourself - if God existed and wanted to be worshipped, wouldn't he make sure that people knew him in some indisputable way?  How could a rational being expect to be worshipped and only make himself known through the most questionable mechanisms like 2000 year old books and prophets who seem a lot like crazy people?

2) Did God create the world or big bang?

If you presume the existence of God, then you should at least embrace the concept of the 'God of the Gaps', which is to say that God works THROUGH nature.  Many scientists who are also religious embrace this view.  We have too much evidence showing that the young earth creation story is a complete and indisputable falsehood.  The folks clinging to young earth creationism are just refusing to examine the evidence or understand the science.  If you want to believe He created the Big Bang, that's fine.  That's understandable.  But never let belief interfere with science.

3) Something from Nothing

This is a nonsense saying that Christians like to say because they don't understand the science.  We DO NOT KNOW what came before the Big Bang.  We know all matter and energy in the universe is rushing away from a single point.  We know some things about the Big Bang.  We don't know what preceded it.  Perhaps we never will.  It may be that another universe collapsed and we are the rebound from that collapse.  Or maybe black holes spawn universes.  There are many ideas.  But we don't KNOW because the evidence either doesn't exist, or we aren't yet sophisticated enough to recognize it.  That is NOT an excuse to just make up stories about a magic man saying 'let there be light'.  It's okay to just admit we don't know.

4) Supernatural

The supernatural is just a larger blanket for the same basic problem God has.  Carl Sagan said (though he was quoting someone else whose name I don't recall) that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  God is an extraordinary claim.  As are ghosts and magic and psychic phenomena and so on.  Supernatural things make fun stories.  I enjoy those stories.  But until EVIDENCE is provided that can survive scrutiny under controlled conditions, we should not believe any of it.  ESPECIALLY since so many charlatans have gone to such lengths to fool people in the past.

5) Just molecules

This is something a lot of religious people struggle with.  The idea that one needs a 'soul' to make one's life meaningful.  But the lack of eternal life, I would argue, makes the time we have that much MORE special.  Live well, because you only have 80-ish years on this Earth (on average depending on where you live).  Spend that time with family.  Go on that trip to see amazing things and do amazing things.  Because there's no cloud paradise.  At the end of the day, your consciousness and experiences are what make you and your life special.  Embrace them.

• david

It depends on who you ask. In the end, the best person for you to ask is yourself. This necessitates a few other questions being answered like, "How do I define God.", etc. It all gets dicey, and confusing, and scary, and fun, and .... You'll find it's the exact same question(s) everyone else is asking. Even the ones that say they already have all the answers. Good luck, and let me know how it comes out for you.