Why do jobs pay so little? ?

Even jobs that require a degree pay $15 an hour.. Just horrendous, borderline slavery.

Update:

I don't have a degree, I just have a lot of experience and dedication for whatever I'm doing, have never missed a day of work or been late in the last three years. I have a job making $20 an hour, and it requires no degree. It's just crazy how these jobs are asking for a degree for $15 an hour. It's a joke. 

Update 2:

Even manual labor is only paying $12 an hour.. now that IS slavery. Any time you can't pay all of your bills living on your own and have a little left over, you are a slave. No way around it. No sugar coating it. It is what it is. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

I learned that the need for a High School Diploma or GED in the 60s was to keep the minorities out of the work place. It was the only way to legally refuse to hire under the EEOC. When too many minorities started to have them, the racist bosses upgraded to needing College Diplomas.

University is a Modern educational SCAM.

The pyramid of Employment has very little need for a "higher education".

Most education to the 5th grade is fine for most jobs, to the 12th grade for a few more jobs.

No One NEEDS college. Most all REAL Jobs can be performed by any one

The need for college is Racist driven.

Back when the Equal Opportunity Laws were passed, the only way a Racist employer could keep "them" out was to develop educational requirements.

Since few in those days held High School Diplomas, the rule became a requirement. When too many started graduating or getting GED, they boosted the *need* to College,

Medical, Law, Engineering. Any other course is garbage, or can be learned in a Tech School.

Actually even these jobs once existed without Government license, It is only fairly recent that the Guilds demanded Power over them.

Dying Colleges need the MONEY. Tenured Professors with no work experience of their own, need students to carry on their passe theories, and out dated methods.

"A College educated employee earns more over a LIFE TIME", they don't mention that most spend it, and more, on Student Loans, no net gain.

Apprentice in the trades if money is what you want. And you want it Now!

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Supply and demand , I’m afraid. If 10 people are chasing a job, they can pay what they like, someone will do it. And if not in your country, they will in China or India etc.

If there are less qualified people than jobs in a certain field, they have to pay decent wages.

Sorry , unless you have an in demand skill or knowledge, you’re just a commodity that trades at the lowest price.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because employers can get away with it while society believes in absolute individual responsibility.

• 1 month ago

Because employers can get away with it while society believes in absolute individual responsibility.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There are millions of jobs that pay much more than $15/HR. They require knowledge, experience and a degree. I haven't worked for $15 an hour for the past 30 years. I make nearly 4x that now.

• a
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Hire other people, and pay them whatever you feel they're worth, then. 

Pay doesn't have anything to do with your morals or your worth as a person. Wages are based on how the labor contributes to the profit the employer makes. Any employer who pays out more than the company makes will be out of business quickly.

College can be  kind of a scam, I agree, since many of them take scads of money from students without providing them with skills or education that would make an employee valuable to an employer. The colleges don't care about the eventual outcome, since anyone who can fog up a mirror can get financial aid from the government (AKA you and me). The taxes you pay to your state support them as well. 

Unfortunately, many children now graduate from high school functionally illiterate or innumerate. (So sorry, anon, and 5th grade or even 12th grade education isn't what it was 50 years ago.)  Look at some of the questions on Y! answers submitted by young people looking to have their homework done for them; some are ordinary division and multiplication, which should be pretty simple for the 13-year-old minimum age required in the TOS. I guess high school graduates are not prepared for college level work, either, but if you're aiming for a degree in Feminist Dance, who cares?

The trades still pay pretty well, for the time invested and money spent. 

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

depends on th job - some pay much higher than that.

• Jay
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It depends on what you degree is in...AND what experience you have.

If you want a job as the  Head Loan Officer at a major bank a week after you graduate college with a BA in Business administration...that is not going to happen.    You have book training but no real world experience.

If your GOAL is to graduate with a BA in Business and become the Head Loan Officer at a Major bank in 10 years...then you have to be willing to put in the work at minimum wage (Yes...in banking you MUST start as a teller...even if it is only 2 -3 months at that job) and learn their system and work your way up.

If you do not have the patience for that....you are what they call 'unemployable'.  You will get jobs...you will have many jobs...but you will not be able to keep them for more than 18 months.

• Robert
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are under no obligation to take a job you feel does not pay your worth.  You merely have to do better than the candidate who will do the job for a particular fee.  In competitive times pay is based upon the person who does the best job for a price.  If you want to do something in particular and will not even consider finding other career paths, you are locked in to doing what you do at the market rate.  If you want to be more flexible you'll have an opportunity to find a job at a better wage.  Degrees are important to certain lines of work, but craft schools and experience are more important than others.  I know a trucker who makes at least 80K yearly with little formal education, while another person with a degree struggled to pay student loans on an off job paying 40 something a year.   No one is owed a living.  You have to develop the talent to do the job better than someone else to make more money.  Build a better mousetrap and they will buy it.  Build the best mousetrap and they will buy it for a few dollars more. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In the absence of a minimum wage, some employers will pay the least they can get away with. Somebody with a degree who can only get a low-paid job must have graduated in a subject of limited value in the jobs market.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.