pomosimulacrum asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is broth good for dogs to eat?

Specifically beef stock.

Store bought is WAY TOO HIGH in salt.  If you cook beef broth from a meat source (beef or chicken) yourself you need to de-fat it or the dog "may" develop diarrhea if there is too much fat, left over.  There is NO REASON to provide it on a regular basis unless the dog is having trouble eating & (for instance) it is to provide a way to get more liquid into a sickly dog, or to soften & warm a kibble & make it more appealing.

Stock that humans use  generally has onions and garlic cooked into which isnt good for dogs. Store bought is also very high in sodium. You can make a dog safe bone broth for dirt cheap and it's so simple to do.

After boiling chicken I cook me Basset Hound puppy's rice in the broth. He loves it. Even though he's blind, deaf and retarded.

ONLY home made and then it is excellent for recovery for them or as a small quantity added to food. 

mixed in with their food maybe

On occasion mixed into its normal diet sure... Though as a staple diet no way

• Ocimom

Its ok to put  a little over food for more liquid and flavor but not by itself.

Broth is often poured over kibbles.  Just don't salt it.

Depends..  Broth often has a lot of salt in it.

• dizwar

I agree with Mrs. F.'s answer. Excessive sodium can show up where you least expect it.  Just the other day I checked the ingredients in back of a can of "low-sodium" chicken broth, and was dismayed to see it had 1,328 mg. of sodium. (I had expected no more than 10 mg. or so.)

Broth is a good appetite stimulator and can be used when the dog in question is ill or had a surgery and slow to eat/lack of appetite, but should not be given all the time, unless homemade. The problem with store-bought broth, even the "low" sodium ones, is that they are full of salt, too much for a dog to process.