pomosimulacrum asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is broth good for dogs to eat?

Specifically beef stock.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Store bought is WAY TOO HIGH in salt.  If you cook beef broth from a meat source (beef or chicken) yourself you need to de-fat it or the dog "may" develop diarrhea if there is too much fat, left over.  There is NO REASON to provide it on a regular basis unless the dog is having trouble eating & (for instance) it is to provide a way to get more liquid into a sickly dog, or to soften & warm a kibble & make it more appealing.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Stock that humans use  generally has onions and garlic cooked into which isnt good for dogs. Store bought is also very high in sodium. You can make a dog safe bone broth for dirt cheap and it's so simple to do.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

After boiling chicken I cook me Basset Hound puppy's rice in the broth. He loves it. Even though he's blind, deaf and retarded.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

ONLY home made and then it is excellent for recovery for them or as a small quantity added to food. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

mixed in with their food maybe

• 1 month ago

On occasion mixed into its normal diet sure... Though as a staple diet no way

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Its ok to put  a little over food for more liquid and flavor but not by itself.

• 1 month ago

Broth is often poured over kibbles.  Just don't salt it.

• 1 month ago

Depends..  Broth often has a lot of salt in it.

• dizwar
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I agree with Mrs. F.'s answer. Excessive sodium can show up where you least expect it.  Just the other day I checked the ingredients in back of a can of "low-sodium" chicken broth, and was dismayed to see it had 1,328 mg. of sodium. (I had expected no more than 10 mg. or so.)

• 1 month ago

Broth is a good appetite stimulator and can be used when the dog in question is ill or had a surgery and slow to eat/lack of appetite, but should not be given all the time, unless homemade. The problem with store-bought broth, even the "low" sodium ones, is that they are full of salt, too much for a dog to process. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.