Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 month ago

Is normal to close the bedroom door when you live alone?

Nobody is going to disturb me, which happened a lot when I lived with family due to the kitchen is next to my room, but I get paranoid and can't sleep if my door in my new apartments bedroom is not closed.

Moved out from the parents nest about 8 months ago, but is this a strange behavior? 

The word "normal" might be a right word for this. I'm still transitioning from being dependent on my parents. Sometimes, when they stay over, I keep asking for their permission, so I wasn't sure if this was a "family" kind of behavior.

I now live alone and I do close my bedroom door at night. I do it for fire safety reasons.

And, as a matter of habit, I close the bathroom door when I use it. It is just easier. Rather than having to think if I am alone in the house or not.  (I have alot of visitors).

Absolutely normal

It is normal...........

I leave it open just enough for my cat to slink in and out of my room, or else he will yell at me.

• zipper

It is a good idea, in case of firer the shut door will slow the smoke from entering the room and give "U" a better chance of escaping the firer.  It is a safety issue, not one of privacy!

• drip

I would say that the average person living alone does not close their doors. Even the bathroom door.

If you are use to the door being close to sleep, then do so. We all have our habits.

Not strange at all.

I often keep my bedroom door closed in winter as I don't like my bedroom to be warm.  Closing the door keeps the heat out (I have a ductless heat pump system).

Of course my cat has other opinions.   No doors closed.  Ever.   She will yowl to ask to be let out.  Then she will yowl to be let back in.    Forget it.   Door can stay open.

It is sensible to sleep with the door closed. Most doors in flats are fire doors (or should be) If there is a fire, the door provides some protection against smoke inhalation and the smoke detector to sound (you do have a smoke detector I  hope) which should be positioned just outside the bedroom.

• ?

i close mine when im sleeping, it helps me so i dont hear my neighbors as much

• CB

"Normal" there is no "Normal" whatever makes you happy is fine and no one is judging. My wife likes to have night lights around so she can see if she wants to go to the bathroom at night - I would prefer it black as pitch but I've adapted. 

Is there a reason to NOT shut your bedroom door? It would be more difficult to hear someone trying to break in - nice to have an extra few seconds to jack a round in the 9mm and be ready. Nice to be able to clearly hear the smoke alarm in the kitchen as soon as possible. But normal doesn't enter into the equation.