Answer asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Is it safe for me to interact with wild mountain lions?

I own 5 cats that sleep in my bed and sit on the couch with me when i watch TV so i always smell like cat. I am moving to a region which has beautiful wild mountain lions and i'm wondering if it's safe for me to go outside in the mountains and feed and pet the mountain lions. Will they be friendly since i smell like cat?

Sure, go ahead. If you get disemboweled, it just means the cat was in a bad mood. The next one will be friendlier.

Seriously? This must be a joke... "is it SAFE to interact with WILD MOUNTAIN LIONS?" if you really have to ask that question, then by all means go ahead and try it out for yourself. One less idiot in the world to worry about might be a good thing. 

Mountain lions (cougars) are unpredictable. We have them around where I live and they stalk humans and cannot be trusted.

Residents in these parts rarely travel alone and are usually armed. 

Not a good idea to interact with them unless you want to be mauled by a mountain lion. I’d stay away from them at all costs for your safety. 

No, it isn't safe to do that, and even if you wanted to it would be a hard thing to do. Mountain lions aren't exactly an animal you can find when you want one. They are not often seen by people. I live on northern Vancouver Island which has the highest concentration of mountain lions in the world. We call them cougars here. I've lived here for 14 years, in BC for 45 years, spent lots of time hiking, and have only once seen a live mountain lion. It ran across the road in front of my car. Two of my closest neighbours have seen mountain lions in their yards. One of them was on the neighbour's doorstep when he saw it. I saw that one after my neighbour shot it. Oh, and your cats won't be all that safe either. Cougars hunt house cats.

Put me in your will first, please

Mountain lions will gladly eat a domestic cat, and if that's what you smell like, will gladly eat a larger meal, even if (according to recorded comments by human cannibals) Westerners taste too salty).

Expecting a large feline not of the same species as felis domesticus to be friendly is like expecting a gorilla to want to mate with a human

• J

Mountain lions are in the cat family, but they are not domesticated. They are wild animals. If you try to approach a mountain lion, you can expect to get torn to shreds. They are not cute little kitties. 

No they absolutely will not. And even if mountain lions do act friendly, you still shouldn't trust them. They're highly unpredictable and could kill you at any second

• Audrey

No they won't. They will attack you and kill you.