My landlord is going to repair the shower but will leave us with no bathroom access for up to 3 days. Can he leave us with no bathroom?

I’m not sure... sounds odd.

He cannot legally rent out a unit with no working bathroom facilities.

No, he has to provide bathroom accommodations either by allowing you to use another vacant unit or by putting you up in a hotel. A rental without a bathroom for three days is not habitable.

You need access to use a toilet and if that is not provided, a landlord must accommodate you!

• R P

No bathroom renders the unit uninhabitable.  The landlord must prorate your rent for the days you cannot stay in the unit, but he does not have to pay for your alternate accomodations.

imo - no; because that makes the apartment uninhabitable. A hotel room can be cheaper than renting a port-a-potty; or maybe the landlord will help subsidize a vacation (you can ask).  P S Repairing a shower need not shut down the toilet or sink.  - I reworked my shower over the course of a few days (including new walls inside and out) while keeping toilet and sink available.

No, that is illegal, he should put you in another property or a hotel room, if he wont do this then don't let him do the work, contact local politicians, any housing charities, your local authority, to pressure him until he agrees, it is not a huge expense for him to move you for a few days but not washing for that long is bad for an adult. Moving you temporarily should be at his expense, not yours or your insurance. I stink if I miss a shower for just one day, after three I'd be a tramp.

Well, he shouldn't but if this is a major repair then maybe it would be easier jsut to let if go than to make a fuss over it. Maybe you could demand 3 days free rent, since this is a big deal?

• Barry

That's ridiculous. A shower repair should not preclude use of the w.c. Unless they are working 24 hours a day and even then the w.c. should be accessible. I think you need to discuss this with your landlord and ask him why. Also ask him if you can use his w.c.

Source(s): UK landlord.

YOU CAN STILL WASH.  You will still have a kitchen with a sink.

a commode is an acceptable temporary toilet...if they weren't acceptable, the would not be sold.  Many people use them.  they are common in homes with older people who can't get up and down stairs to get to the bathroom on a regular basis.

I used a bucket with water from an outdoor hose for a week.  laid plastic sheeting on the floor and took a bath.

if you have no use of the bathroom at all and choose to stay a hotel (at your or your renters insurance expense (depending on why the repair is needed), then you don't pay rent for those 3 days.

no bathroom at all?  why can't you use the toilet and sink?  yes he can do that...unless you would rather not have a shower at all and he can just not fix it.

if for some reason you really have no bathroom, you can get a commode and stick in in the bedroom...get liners and some kitty litter for absorbancy.....

or rent a motel room or stay with friends/family.

my entire bathroom and kitchen was renovated...they went down to the studs....and had told me is should be no more than a couple days...until  I had a toilet and running water...

i survived a week with no running water, then only the tub.....3 weeks without a toilet...it was 10 weeks without a kitchen.

I’m not sure... sounds odd.