Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Someone on our block refuses to put a BLM sign on their yard. What do we do about them?

I went door to door and got everyone to put a BLM sign on their yard (paid for by me!) but one guy refused. Refused to say why (but let's be honest, we all know why). My question is legally what can we do to this person.

Honestly my kids are scared to have this guy as a neighbor now and I don't blame them

Anon I'm not saying they have to, but why didn't they? It's pretty obvious. Would you want a racist living next to you?

Burn the house down while they sleep.

You do nothing.

• Neil

Nothing He doesn't have to have a sign on his yard, not matter what it says.

But you knew that, didn't you?

No I wouldn't want to live next to you, but wouldn't likely be able to afford to move. Legally you can't do anything to them, just as they can't do anything to you.

Legally, you can't do anything.  Your neighbor refuses to put a BLM sign in his yard, that doesn't make him racist and even if he is, that's how he believes and there is nothing you can do about it.  The best you can do is try to be a good neighbor and show him you are not bad people.  He doesn't have to say why he won't display your sign, maybe he just doesn't want a sign in his yard, I don't display a sign for everything I believe in.  I don't have a BLM sign, does that make me racist too?

• xyzzy

So you have a neighbor who does not support a left wing organization. I would suggest you contact the thought police, because you don't seem to believe in people having opinions different from your own. Your kids are scared because of you and what you express. And you have given no reason to believe your neighbor is a racist. He may be, he may not be, even if he is a racist that is not illegal.