Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Does eating 200g (7oz) of cold smoked salmon with vegetables sounds unhealthy for a dinner once a week?

Asked because i read that salmon has high zodium levels and yes the ones i buy are those with skin on, buy it in a fish shop. 

It might be a bit simple, but sometimes I'm too lazy to cook, so I buy already made food instead of junk food like McDonald's.😅 

I'm not from UK/US, but roughly 200g of smoked is about 7$ if converted where I live. Frozen salmon is like 4$ per portion (if going for 200g, For a full meal with for example fried potatoes, I tends only eat one piece of salmon which is roughly 3.5oz/100g). Female adult.

• Janet

Partially healthy.

Salmon is healthy - the chemicals used to SMOKE it are NOT healthy.3 oz/84g of protein is the right amount to eat at a meal ... not 7 oz/200gVegetables are good, and should be HALF of your plate .. but we are not talking about potatoes or corn, which are classes as carbs and should be larger than the protein portion on your plate.  Brown rice and whole grains are better than corn or potatoes, btw.

My doctor says we should eat salmon 3 times a week.  I don't, but I DO eat it at least once a week.

A bit much (about 80 to 100 grams is the recommended portion size) ... And they have not just sodium, but a number of other metals in their flesh

No, that doesn't sound unhealthy.

• kswck2

Nah. It is fine. And it is healthy. 

No, it's not unhealthy taken in isolation.  

• denise

No it sounds ok, you could make some tartar sauce with -  low calorie mayo, chopped dill pickle & a few capers.

No. Salmon is a very healthy fish

This would depend in part on how the salmon was smoked and how much salt was used.  For me, most smoked salmon is pretty salty so 7 oz. would be a really large serving. 

If you sub for fresh and cook it yourself so you can control the salt, you are probably going to be in better shape.

It's absolutely fine, except it's probably extremely expensive. Many fish can be forgiving, so feel free to try them on a foreman grill or even in the microwave. Not necessarily the best way to cook fish, but it's not bad and it's easy. 

Microwave fish could be tilapia, flounder, COD, flaky tender ones. Foreman grilled would be your salmon, Tuna, heartier ones. 

Just don't go straight from the freezer... stick it in the fridge in the morning or defrost in the microwave first. 

No, it doesn't.

• Goerge

No but it does sound as though it could get boring. I like to keep my food varied and interesting Just be sure to buy it with the skin on because that's where the highest concentration of good fats reside.