Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 month ago

Is guitar easy learn without a teacher just by yourself?

It's definitely possible, but not easy.  I've been playing for over 30 years, and I'm almost entirely self taught.  If I had stuck with a professional instructor longer than 10 lessons, I'd probably have gotten better much faster.

But I don't have any regrets.  My guitar teacher actually made me start to lose interest in playing, because he was very by-the-book.  He insisted on going over lots of theory and technical details, and I just wanted to rock out.  For me, guitar lessons were like English class.  I didn't want it to be work, I wanted it to be fun.  And while I definitely didn't get good as fast as I would have with proper instruction, I had a whole lot of fun learning on my own.

In the days of YouTube, you can get just about any lesson you want for free twenty-four-seven.

I think it might be, although I have never done it myself, because I hear of a lot of people who do!

Or ,if  it were me, I think I would go to a class because when I was young and took piano, I looked at my fingers and the keys.

It stymies your progress.  

So, when I was an adult, I took it again and I was able to do better.  The instructor said that it is often easier to teach someone who has never studied something that someone who has learned some, because you have no bad habits.

Good luck to you!  I hope you enjoy it!  My parents were so good about that kind of thing, and told me that at any point, if I no longer wanted to do it, I could stop!  My dad had been forced to learn many instruments and he lost the joy of it!

Not if wanting to learn it well. Think of it as a language .. you might learn the basics, 

but without proper grammar (or use of an instrument) will likely be stuck at that level.

It's a lot easier these days with Youtube ..., but as with most things you need to put the time in.

I am self taught and was able to work out a lot of stuff by listening to it, but I missed a lot of tricks by not having a teacher, or a good youtube video to watch.

good luck and have fun 

• Tony B

Even with a teacher, learning to play a musical instrument isn't easy. Without one it’s much harder.

I'm self taught but, even after nearly fifty years, I wish I'd had a teacher.

If anything, the Internet, You Tube and social media have made it far harder: when I learnt, what publications and information that was there was correct, well thought-out and well organised and presented. Nowadays anyone can post “information” and almost all of it it absolute rubbish.

• dman63

Ask Jimmy Page.

now that youtube is a thing, yes

very, go to justinguitar or guitarlessons.com