Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Dealing with anxiety ?

Why is it so hard to talk about anxiety? I have suffered mild anxiety on and off over the years and at the moment I am really suffering from it to the point it takes all my energy and thoughts. I've been lucky that I've had an amazing colleague at work who has noticed and is helping me get support. However, it not always this simple. My boyfriend doesn't understand anxiety and is thinking he doing something wrong and my mum think anxiety is an attention seeking disorder. Sometimes I dont even understand myself as I have every reason to be happy but im letting my thoughts and feelings take over my mind. I have tried everything to be mindful to the point it just doesn't work. I have just started medication and I feel so guilty for doing so. I dont dare tell anyone about this as they will just tell me I'm suppressing my emotions with medication when I dont need to. I decided to takes meds when I noticed I couldn't get through the day without crying because of the way I feel. I just feel that no one understands until they have been there themselves. Really could do with some support and advise or please tell me your stories about this

• Chanel

People who have not suffered from acute anxiety does not understand when a person mentions it. They all get asked the same question "what are you scared of?".

But the person does not know what they are scared of.  Acute anxiety is a terrible feeling.

Is it possible you could get a dvd about anxiety and ask your mum to watch it.

It comes under 'mental health' and any person can get it at any age.

I say this cos I knew a business man. He was 35 and was great company and to my surprise he had a breakdown and I have known other people of all ages it has happened to.

Can you contact your doctor? Hopefully he will be able to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck

Mine got so bad I ended up going into hospital, I find things to play like hidden object games or colouring by numbers a great way to de stress which causes anxiety.

Having a small drink of alcohol helps too,

Watching a comedy or film is also a good way to stop thinking of things that makes us feel the way we do, my carer/partner talks to me which helps me to calm down, i don't complain about it or the fact that I also have dystonia I just get on with my life.

Keep a diary and write down the triggers, write a list of things you want to do or see and make it your goals to achieve and do them.

Play music and read or bake cakes and talk to your friends or family if you can they may not understand but they can make you feel at ease because you need to feel positive and not negative and not alone.

A key thing is laughter it is the best medicine to have it really helps.

I wish you good luck for the future and hope that you can get through it.

Ha! You got LANned!

Most people with anxiety problems do better with therapy, CBT, than with medication, and some people even benefit from self-help based on CBT (source: Nat. Institute for Clinical Excellence, UK). Authoritative Guide to Self-Help Resources for Mental Health, based on polls of more than 3,000 mental health professionals, says that the book recommended most often is The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr David Burns.

I'll show you an answer that was rated Best, 5 Stars.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20201...

The answer begins with the topic of therapeutic breathing, which has been shown to help with anxiety, panic disorder, depression, and PTSD. 

Don't overlook stress management. This can help even with very bad cases.

Rushing around when you don't have to and doing things carelessly is bad for the nerves and makes for mistakes and accidents. Carefulness is a form of mindfulness. Slow movement is your friend. It prevents serious accidents, and your actual safety is good for your peace of mind.

You can learn tai chi from one or two beginners' videos on YouTube.

Other things take some effort but they're very rewarding - things that make your life meaningful, like a good hobby, art, or volunteer work. Take care of your mental and physical health with the right lifestyle choices.

• LAN

Because typing about your imaginary conditions is all you do and you can't keep a straight face when trying to lie in person.  Grow up.

Everyone gets anxiety, just not as bad as you get it, so they foolishly assume it's the same kind they get. I've noticed the attitude towards anxiety is "oh just grow a pair and get over it, we all have to deal with it" but they don't, not on the same level as you. I've learned to live with anxiety and mostly beat it by figuring out what made me anxious, then I had to force myself to do it, over and over until it doesn't make me panic anymore. It's not fun, but it's the only thing that helps. 

When you get anxious, don't fight it. Just let that feeling was over you. Focus on it and examine it. Deep breaths in and out. But definitely forcing yourself do do the things that make you anxious will help. Only thing that worked for me anyway.

There’s plenty of help and support. The best help/cure is with CBT or NLP therapy. Or you can take Citalopram tablets which stops anxiety but doesn’t get rid of it. Also you should be incredibly angry with your mother.