How to check the transmission fluid on a 2000 Toyota Camry le 4 cylinder 2.2 gas engine?

Ok so I decided to check the fluid in my Camry transmission, the first time I just let the car run for 10 minutes and then checked it the dip stick for the transmission.  The flue was low about a quart.  I never added transmission fluid I took it for a ride for 15minutes when I got home I checked the fluid and the transmission dip stick was past the full line now I’m confused am I low or am I sufficient on fluid?  

The synthetic hydraulic oil expands when it gets hot, that's why you check it when it's hot.

There is sometimes a hot and cold mark hash area, then a pint low mark under that area.

The same goes for the power steering dip stick, it will have a hot and cold marked region.

This is done so you don't overfill the pump reservoir, only top it up cold to the cold mark.

Some transmissions may require the engine be running in drive gear (E brake on) at idle while hot to check the level. That instruction info is then stamped on the ATF dip stick.

You should probably let someone that knows what they are doing check your transmission fluid.

Unless it's been leaking (i.e. you are finding drips under the car when you park it) then it's probably fine.

That is because when the transmission is low it is low by the PINT.

• garry

read the dipstick you idiot , it does have markings on it to tell you if it is low ..

ALL car fluids wear out after a time! Even BRAKE FLUID becomes DEAD when you see it turn DARK BROWN! One reason I guess that people thing EUROEPAN CARS are PRICEY to own is that MAYBE due to the fact that THEY INSIST upon changing the FLUIDS after so many YEARS or MILES! In fAct, they have DRAIN PKLUGS ont eh TORQUE CONVERTERS to drain ALL the old TRANS FLUID out! I wil NTO even use domestically refined FLUIDS at all! I pay MROE for genuine EUROEPAN refined TARANS fluids and STEERIGN fluids and MORE! Event he STEERINGF LUID on EURO cars must be REPLACED every 80-100,000 miles Aim BLITHERING again! YOUR CAMRY requires ALL fluid changed as WELL! TOYOTA.LEXUS uses a machine to transfer OLD trans fluid OUT and NEW fluid in! CALL a dealership and SEE how much it costs! I know several ":MECHANICS: that have TRIED to just CHANGE the fluid and actually made things WORSE in TOYOTA and LEXUS cars! ONCE they PAID for the proper fluid and filter changes, it was INFE AGAIN! >>TODAQY the BIG trans and steering word is ZF>>>ZF TRW>>>ZF has 42 plants in the USA that furnish TRANNIES and STEERING systems to almost ALL car makers worldwide! CADDY< LINCOLN KIA, HYUNDAI, FORD,  and more! They sup[ply BMW and AUDI and VVE in Europe! Nobody in AMERICA has even HEARD of ZF company yet they are as common as BOSCH FUEL INJECTION systems are! RELIBALE and LONG lasting, usually with SHIFTER PADDLES inside the cabin!  WISH I had STOCK in them! They CONTINUE to make trannies for MOST later models. The ZF trans in a CADDY will outlast the ENGINE times FOUR.>>>>>The BX is like an OLD MAN!  modern engines ALL require FULLY SYNTHETIC OILS that can last for 25,000 miles between changes! HE STICKS with VALVOLINE< an oil NO FACTORY will use! It RUINS engines daily! TRANS fluid changing is REQURED.>>>>>>ZF company from Germany supplies MSOT cars with AUTOMATIC TRANNIES and they have many times a TORQUE CONVERTER drain plug!  These trannies are DESGINED so that the FLUID takes ont he WEAR within the trans! Anther GREAT supplier is AISIN WARNER! They make TRANNIES for ASIAN cars mostly like TOYOTA and NISSAN< etc. IT is a WIVES TALE not to change teh TRANS FLUID these days! This fluid has COEFFRICFIENTS of FRICTINO IN THEM and this po]roperty wil WEAR OUT over time! Some peiopole ven get there trans REBUILT for the WRONG reasons! CLUTCHES can wear out,a nd so cant he PISTONS< but using the BEST REFINED trans fluids fr]or ANY  trans is a GOOD thing to do! IT is the use of BAD fluid makers that causes PROBLEMS! I wil NEVER use VAO|LVOLINE anythign in ANY CAR!. GOOD LUCK!  

The reading after driving the vehicle and warming the transmission up to operating temperature is the correct reading. Never get the ATF flushed. Take the car to the dealer for a drain and fill transmission service every 60,000 miles. I've seen more people mess up their tranny by trying to change the ATF and they would have been better just leaving it alone!

Just letting it run  for 10 minutes won't warm the transmission, you need to drive it to make the transmission work and warm itself up.  Then park on level ground, go though all the selector positions, put it in park and check the level with the engine running.

Close the hood and wait till your Wife comes home to show you how to do this. 

Try READING the manual that explains the proper method to check the fluid.

I am willing to BET at least part of the issue is you didn't follow the part about making sure the vehicle was parked on a flat, level surface.

• bo

fluid expands when hot. that's why the difference should run the car about 15-20 minutes for a correct level. some models require you check it in neutral instead of park. owners manual should tell you if you need to do it in either park or neutral

Source(s): transmission man