Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Why do most English speakers refuse to learn other languages?

I think that is true for most people in the world.To learn another language takes a tremendous amount of time.I am sure that if I was to learn to play any musical instrument it would take a lot of effort and time.For that reason I never did.It does not really mean people refuse to learn.It has to be useful and necessary..Since English is widely spoken it is not so important to learn another language.

Ignorance, Xenophobia etc. I've even had some fellow Americans insist that I'm actually

from another country as I often communicate in other languages with family and friends.

I can only speak for myself but... I don't refuse to learn other languages. In fact, I think learning foreign languages is fun and admirable. However, I do often lack the confidence to speak those languages with native speakers. Plus, since English is a sort of global lingua franca I don't really need to. I will say that, unlike some other tourists, when I visit a country where English is not the first language and I speak to store clerks/waiters/etc. in English anyway because I know they will know at least a little I *do* actually feel embarrassed and think that they are totally right to judge me for not even trying.

"Refuse" is a silly word. People don't "refuse" to learn other languages; it's just that for many English speakers there's no huge incentive to do so.

But don't imagine nobody in the UK speaks other languages. Many of us do, and we learned them at school in the days before they abolished education. I learned French, Russian and Latin at school, and later learned German and some Turkish on my own initiative.

• ?

The world speaks Engliah and admittedly this is due to the popularity of Hollywood films and American tv.

It is hoped that such an attitude is being eliminated.  Some years ago all primary schools in Britain had to start teaching a foreign language, from the age of 8, I think.

• Zirp

because anglos are more equal than others...

Part of it is cultural. What is offered in schools is too little, and loads of people around the world learn (some) English.

Even if Anglos *want* to learn a language, there is no obvious choice as to which one will be the most useful.

My recommendation: learn Esperanto. It's the easiest, spoken across the globe, and learning it before another language does not cost extra time

They see no reason to.

In the USA, it is really not needed.  

• God

People that do learn other than their native language don't necessarily do it because they want to.  They do it because they live in a small country bordered by people that speak a different language.  In the US we live in a large country where English is spoken by most.