Josh asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Germany after World War 1 question?

I read about Hitler and I say "Oh, Germans were angry after World War 1 and that's why Nazism rose to power".

Then I read "All Quiet On The Western Front" by Remarque and I say "Oh, Germans wanted peace forever".

What prevailed among Germans? Revenge or peace during the interwar period?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

The disastrous inflation of 1923 became a national trauma. Even fifty years later, the very word inflation was still strong enough to lead an election campaign with it.

Unfortunately, it was obvious that the misery began with the French occupation of the Ruhr in 1923, long after the end of the war, just with the purpose to enforce some terms of the Versailles treaty with more pressure.

Maybe they couldn't overlook the outcome of that idea, or maybe they still thought that they wouldn't have to care about it. In our days, France, Belgium and Germany are cosying up to each other, with some reasons.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If each and every question asked about Germany, Hitler, the Treaty of Versailles, the First World War, or the Second World War were ported over to its own separate category, we'd likely see about half a dozen new questions per month here. Nearly every question that concerns itself with one or more of these things is posted by someone with a very limited understanding of history. 

Let's take this gem for example... I'll rephrase this ingenious query to reflect what the asker really wants to know:

"Hey everyone, can you give me a definitive answer on what each and every human being living in Germany between 1919 and 1939 thought about war, peace, and their country's role in the world?"

Of course, we're supposed to accept the false premise that there was a rigid dichotomy in place among Germans living at the time and thus there are only two possibilities - either a person had to be one hundred percent against war and desiring of eternal peace OR they had to be mad with vengeance and aching to go to war to right the wrongs they feel had been done to them. 

Imagine living under the mistaken impression that "history" is entirely limited to 1914-1918 and 1939-1945.  

What "prevailed" among Germans? What opinions "prevail" among the individual members of any society when it comes to the big issues? How do people in Australia and Britain and Canada and the United States feel about weighty economic or political or social issues? 

You might try reading more than 2 books if you wish to truly understand the people and events that shaped modern history. A person could read 200 books on the interwar period and still not have a definitive answer - because there isn't one. 

And Germans weren't the only group of people being affected or the only people who had to make the decision whether to try and cling to peace or opt to go to war. People all over Europe and across the world were faced with the same decision. 

Did neither of the two books you read not compel you to consider that?   

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A down-trodden nation simply wants 'no war' and to be able to recover, as Germany wanted after WW1 and WW2.

But gradually, after WW1, resentment at the harsh conditions imposed by the Versailles Treaty built up, and was fanned by Hitler into the notion that Germany was great again, and that its rightful place was to be in charge of a large portion of the world.

After WW2 , the West was frightened about the growing power of Soviet Russia, so had quickly to get western Germany on-side to be a base to defend free Europe against Russia.  See the Cold War, and the Iron Curtain, and the Berlin Wall etc.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.