Have you got your own or leased modem/router ?

my own; modems/ routers by ISPs, in my opinion aren't good for gaming.

I own mine. That also means that if I ever have to upgrade, and the new technology is not support by my modem, I would have to buy a whole new one. That's already happened to me, but I got about 7 years out of my old one, so it's paid itself off.

When I had AT&T U-Verse, I had to use their terrible gateway, but I was able to somewhat bypass it and use my own router.

Now that I have Comcast, I use my own modem and router. Comcast charges $14/month for their crap gateway thing. In the nearly 2 years I've had the service, I would have spent nearly $340 on just rental fees. My modem cost about $80 and the router I already had was about $109 a few years ago.

• BigE

I own my modem.

I tried the ISP's gateway but the WIFI was inadequate.  I knew I wanted my own modem and separate router because I could switch out the router without having to reprovision.  Also, I used their equipment to make sure my connection was good for a month, then got my own equipment ready and got the number to the group that does provisioning.  Took about 10 minutes to switch.

Returned their equipment and removed the lease charge.

• Ron75

I own mine as I didn't care for the one my ISP supplied so I bought a better one from them and they installed it free of charge. But if it ever fails then I will have to buy another one instead of them just replacing it.

Ron

In theory, my modem/router is owned by my ISP who supplied it as part of my broadband service. There is no ongoing charge for it. In reality, after so many years, they do not want it back.