Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

I want to write a story based on someone I know?

Someone i know was accused and convicted of a crime they didn't commit. I think it would make for an interesting novel from my perspective in the story, however it will be fictionalized somewhat. It was a sex crime involving a child, which there was no way for him to have committed, but he plead nolo contendere because his lawyer said he wouldn't get a long sentence. He ended up dying during a 16 year sentence of what appeared to have been suspicious circumstances. I want to write about how it destroyed our family, but it is going to paint the accused positively (as he was innocent). 

would this be unpopular because it tells a real story of false rape accusation?

This kind of this is of no interest to me. I like reading about an actual crime but this seems a bit bland to me and if there was enough evidence that "he couldn't possibly have committed the crime" he wouldn't have been sentenced at all because you can't put someone in jail for 16 YEARS when there is a lack of evidence. Something must have happened, like a lack of evidence that he didn't do it. Not many people are sentenced and they are innocent. The only way I could believe this man was innocent was if the victim recanted or corrected his/her statement. And I wouldn't believe a member of his family because, of course, they are going to say he was falsely accused. Especially if the accused is denying it. Unless there is something of the case I could research where it was admitted he was falsely imprisoned, I'd tend to believe he was guilty and his family were bias.

• Marli

"He ended up dying during a 16 year sentence of what appeared to have been suspicious circumstances."

I think you mean "in what appeared to have been suspicious circumstances" The "circumstances" were not the "cause" of his death, but "how" he died, the manner of his death, the way it looked. That was what looked suspicious to you. "I want to write about how it destroyed our family, but it is going to paint the accused positively (as he was innocent)."

"Our" family. You have a personal stake in the rape and in the fate of the accused person. I wonder then why you want to write the story as fiction, since you want to prove that the accused was wrongly convicted and thereby right a wrong.  I suppose you want to change the name of the rape victim, so that person won't suffer further. But a fictionalized telling of the story won't restore the  accused's good character, and the rape victim did give testimony that convicted him. She may have been too young and upset during the trial to realize what her testimony would do, but it would go some way to make restitution to the accused's family and ease her remorse if she confessed to the police and the court so that they can reopen the case, hear her correct testimony and perhaps change the verdict.  You might want to put that to her first, before or instead of writing the novel.

i would at least get permission from the person youre writing a novel about