Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 months ago

UK Benefits?

Are there any benefits when you are struggling mentally in the UK? I am finding everyday life hard, I have a job but I just can't seem to keep up with the demands of jobs these days as they seem to be too fast paced, customer service, understaffed, targets to meet etc etc plus co workers seem to never like me no matter what happy, fun, confident persona I put on at work. I get physically ill from working, even part time with stress headaches, nausea, insomnia and I just can't do it anymore. Everyday tasks such as food shopping, cooking, eating and house work I just can't do it anymore, Is there a benefit for when you can't deal with 'life' and its fast pace anymore? What is it? How do I go about maybe lookng into it? Thanks


Thanks for the informative answer very helpful. :-)

1 Answer

  • Anonymous
    3 months ago
    Favourite answer

    Hi. You need to start by seeing your GP and getting treatment for your mental health problems. They can sign you off work if necessary. If you end up losing your job or your sick pay runs out, and your GP continues to sign you off, you can apply for employment support allowance [ESA] although in some areas this has been replaced by universal credits [UC]. If you've already been receiving treatment for your mental health problems for at least 3 months, and expect to still have problems for at least another 9 months, you can apply for personal independence payments [PIP]. It's not a means tested benefit so you can claim it even if you work or claim other benefits such as ESA or UC. There's also housing benefit and council tax benefit although if you claim UC it's all in one. There are different ways to claim ESA for PIP call You apply for UC online Use a benefits calculator to see your entitlement and get advice from the CAB to ensure you get everything you're entitled to. 

    Source(s): I'm on disability benefits due to physical disability, bipolar and ASD.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.