When should I notify job that I just accepted that I will not be going?

I just accepted a job but after thinking it through, it doesn't seem to work out with my school schedule. How do I tell them I am thankful for them considering me but I cannot do the job. I went through the trainings and they just asked me when I can start my first day. Should I respond to them by email or on the phone? What should I tell them.

Just a piece of advice... that is something you should have figured out BEFORE you even accepted the position and began training. Lesson learned... that way you don't make the mistake of wasting everyone's time again, including your own.

It doesn't matter whether you notify them via phone or email - but you should notify them immediately. Why wait? They invested time and money into training you, they are going to be disappointed that you wasted both. This is why you should tell them right away so that they can look to replace you as soon as possible.

• Eva

You should try to work out your availability first. They've spent money training you. It's not fair of you to quit now unless it can't be worked out with your school schedule.

And don't expect to be welcomed back anytime. They hate paying new hires to go through training and then have them quit.......

• Alex

The answer to 'when' is as soon as you are absolutely sure you don't want the job.  The longer you wait, the more of a burden you cause for someone else.

Email:  'After the training I realized that I am not the best person for this job.  Thank you for the opportunity and I am certain you will find someone to fill the position.'

The truth is fine. Email or phone would be fine too.