softwere/hardwere?

i have a 1975 desktop if i upgtade the hardwere and softwere can i still use it for gaming

If you upgrade your hardware, it will no longer be an old 1975 desktop.

Depends were you go next.

You're full of shít, too dewcoons.

I doubt much the 1975 game are simply not available anymore the 2020's gaming application are more advance and also consume more space on HDD than the older games. Again you are going do have to deal with the hardware compatibility,  VGA has to have a dedicated memory capacity... say you are using desktop computer the slot for installation of the graphic card is also not the same.

• keerok

If yu WERE to upgred de herdwere en de sefwere, yud en up bying a na-ew komputer!

• ?

why upgrade? you can use it for gaming as it is. vintage gaming is big now.

but first, fix your English.

There were no desktops in 1975. The first "desktop" PC came from IBM in 1983. They did not appear for home use until the late 80's and early 90s.  So you do not have a desktop form 1975.

If you have an old computer and update the "hardware" (processor and RAM) and are still running the same version of Windows, then everything that ran on it before will still run on it.

However if the computer is more than about 5 years old it is not going to be upgradable.  The system board in it will not going to be able to use modern processors, RAM, etc.  Every time they come out with a new line of chips they change the socket used to attach it to the system board.

If you also have to change the system board, it will cost you more to upgrade the old PC then it would to purchase a new one.  Waste of money to upgrade anything over 5 years old.

If you upgrade to a new version of Windows, your games may or may not run on it.  Some older games take direct control of the graphic card, etc.  Windows 10 will not allow that, so that older games will not run on Windows 10.  But if the game uses Windows to access the graphic card, etc., then it will run just fine on Windows 10.  Each game is different.

I suspect that if you really believe your computer is from 1975, you probably do not have the skill or understanding of computers to try to upgrade it yourself.  (No insult intended.)

• Adrian

There were no "desktops" in 1975. There may have been the odd Apple I (1976) or Commodore system, but no desktop in modern terms. The only computer I can think of in 1975 was my Altair 8800.

Most computers back in mid 70's ran some form of Basic or assembly languages.

If you upgrade the hardware and software, it would no longer be a desktop from 1975.... 

But yes, you could turn it into a currently valid gaming pc. You may just be left with the case though. It's highly unlikely the motherboard would support modern CPU's or even have a slot for modern GPU's. 

The amount of effort and money needed for such a project is probably comparable to just buying a modern PC. 

All that said, I've seen people put modern components in an old 1990's case, not my thing, but it's cool.