Am I normal?

I was offered a job in San Francisco. I sought out the opportunity because I ran into difficulty finding the work/culture I want to be part of in the area I am from. 

The “Am I normal?” question comes in because The people (not all) I know are having babies when they are not married, they act like they have it together, but they are just looking for a paycheck, I’m focused on opportunities/career/retirement and making myself happy, but they like to drink and go to the bar. 

I’m living in tendernob, working jobs I think have a future, paying my own way, and trying to figure it all out. I might need to find a better circle of people I can relate to, but I just wanted to ask.

Thank you!!

Forget "normal" as there is no such thing. But you absolutely need a new circle of friends who you have something in common with, e.g. ambition, career orientation, etc. If you don't want to be a loser, don't associate with them.

Yes, you are "normal" just as your friends are "normal."  Some people are ambitious and some aren't.  Some find fulfillment in career advancement and increased income. Others find it in being a parent.

Yes, you'd be wise to find friends who share your values.  And, as Bill noted, you'll find the same array of people in San Francisco or any other place.  

Stop comparing yourself to others,  your life isn't theirs. Constant comparisons only show poor self worth. 

• Bill

You’ll find plenty of people in San Francisco siring illegitimate children, drinking and working just for the money. It’s universal. It’s also universal that many people don’t do that.  Find a job and career that you enjoy and pays you enough to live on. If that is in San Francisco, so be it.