Documented vision impairment from car accident boss won’t work with me ?

I got into a car accident and ended up with class in my eye. It has caused major issues with my night driving. I’m scheduled to have surgery in the next few months but until then I cannot drive in the dark. I work from 8-5 with an hour lunch. I asked HR if they would approve me working 8-4:30 instead and taking a 30 minute lunch instead of an hour. They said yes but it was up to my manager. My manager said no. I have documentation that I can’t drive after sundown until I have surgery in February. My manager said I’d have to arrange for a ride. I live alone, I don’t have any family close by so I’m not sure what to do. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If he needs from 8-5, then he needs you from 8-5.  He does not "have" to work "with you".  You work "for" him.  Get that straight.  Take the bus, Lyft, etc.  Be thankful that you did not lose your vision.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • 1 month ago

You can use bus, Uber/Lyft, whatever, until after your surgery. 

• 1 month ago

Working 8-4:30 won't really help because we're getting close to the time of year when sunset is too soon after 4:30 for you to get home before dark if you leave work at 4:30.

What you are supposed to do is take Uber, Lyft, a taxi, a bus, or a train.  (Walking might also be an option if you live close by.)

• 1 month ago

If your doctor says you cannot drive at night, you submit that along with your formal disability claim for reasonable accommodation under the ADA.  You can also hire an employment lawyer.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you are in the USA, instead of "asking" submit the paperwork to formalize your disability asking for the accommodating of working 8am-4:30pm.

it's called an ADA reasonable accommodation. 

• 1 month ago

Talk to HR again about this. It's a safety issue.  Tell them that. 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I am not being unkind but my son has no sight in one eye and always drives in the dark.

There is no medical reason why you cannot. Try it at home to get used to it,

Or, call a cab.

UK.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.