How can I stop being a bigot and accept LGBT+ people?

BACKSTORY: I'm not a "bible-thumper", nor am I a republican. I'm a liberal who believes she's thinking "logically" when it comes to the LGBT+ community. I personally think that it's dangerous to accept LGBT+ people's lifestyles because HIV and AIDS, as well as other things, are prevalent among them, and that by encouraging them more people will become infected, sick, etc. 

I REALLY want to change and accept them as they are. Please help me do that. 

19 Answers

Relevance
  • donnie
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I don’t accept all the complete weidness. I don’t really care if someone is gay but the extremely bizarre behavior prompted by the LGBTP community is out of line.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You are not a bigot for not condoning same sex relationships. God HIMSELF says that such unions are wrong.  He created us so it's His say.  Going against God's Word will bring eternal punishment.

• 1 month ago

You do realize that AIDS is predominately a heterosexual disease. You can stop your being bigoted by realizing that your belief system is totally biased and false. The vast majority of gays do not have AIDS but thank you for your 1980's beliefs. 

• Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If your anonymously posted story is true and you genuinely want to get rid of your bigotry and prejudice, the first thing you need to do is start working on eliminating your ignorance about LGBT+ people, beginning with learning about the fact that HIV/AIDS is a HUMAN disease, not a gay disease.  Meet and talk with some LGBT+ people to actually learn from them and get to know them so you have a chance to understand they are equal human beings no different than yourself, aside from who specifically they're attracted to or their gender identity in the case of trans people.  And drop the chickenshit anonymity that you're hiding behind so people actually believe your sincerity.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Fred
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think you are showing some ignorance here.  HIV Aids is not the gay disease the media claimed it was back in the 1980s which gave straight people the belief they couldn't get it.  HIV was a disease that came out of Africa and largely a disease of straight people as many African men even though married visit prostitutes, then took the virus home to their wives.  Some African countries have an Aids rate in their straight adult population of 25%.  The Congo employed many cheap Haitian French speaking teachers back in the 1960s and 1970s but after their contract expired they went back to Haiti taking Aids with them.  Aids flourished in Haiti and it also became the cheap holiday destination for gay Americans who rented poor men in Haiti for sex and the American gays took it back to the gay community of America who spread it to the rest of the world.

HIV is more a disease of the promiscuous which the gay community of the 1980s was but also some straights who unfortunately had sex with those who frequented the gay community also got the virus.  I saw a poster in the doctor's waiting room saying 1 in 6 HIV cases were found in Heterosexuals.  Some are promiscuous people who have so many sex partners in unprotected sex that the odds are one day they will catch HIV while others were just unlucky to have had sex with an infected person.

These days things have come a long way as far as the control of HIV goes.  There are medications that stop the HIV from advancing to full blown Aids and most people will have full life spans.  In many the drug makes the HIV regress to the point it is undetectable but doctors will not say the person is cured.  There are also not medications people can take that will stop HIV from taking hold in the body such as PREP which taken daily will allow people to have non protected sex without the fear of catching HIV, or PEP which if a person fears they may have been infected can take the medication within 72 hours of the possible infection to prevent the HIV from taking hold in the body.  Now doctors believe they can actually cure HIV but I think it is a hard complicated process.

As far a stopping being bigoted against LGBT people remember bigotry and homophobia are generally taught beliefs from our upbringing as we heard ignorant and stupid people putting gays down which gave us a belief LGBT people must be bad.  Generally it comes from ignorance or religious bigotry generally spread by gay priests and clergy who hide there sexuality behind the past credibility of the church.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Decide to do so!

• 1 month ago

Just mind your business. 

• 1 month ago

Answer:   Education

Additional detail:   You list the risk of HIV if you accept LGBT people.  

Trouble with that one is,   accept or not,  people are still going to have sex.    That said in any sex act HIV is a problem,  its not an exclusive gay problem and yet neither are the hundreds of other sexually transmitted diseases and even in a faithful relationship,  that does not assure safety as even if your partner never plays around,  they can still catch diseases and give them to you.  So if you are sincere,  the only way to avoid being infected is to not have a partner/s at all,  yet you are not going to do that as while your happy to impress on others to go with out,  you would never deny yourself. 

If you want to change you need to seek to educate your self on the subject. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Being LGBT+ is not a "lifestyle" (code work for choice).

Nobody chooses to be LGBT+, they are born LGBT+.

Next, ANYONE can get HIV/AIDS.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

How utterly disingenuous you are. You pretend to acknowledge your own bigotry...which is defined as irrational hatred of a people based on their supposed membership in a particular group...and then you attempt to justify that bigotry with a biased, erroneous claim about the danger they supposedly present to others while using the hackneyed term 'lifestyle' as if one's sexual preference is just a willful choice and not their identity. 

You then claim to 'REALLY want to change', but you clearly don't. If you did, you wouldn't have tried to rationalize your hatred with your 'logical' accusation. You're a phony. A fraud. And your thinly-disguised ad hominem attack is puerile and without merit. If you were really an honest person, you'd be ashamed of yourself, admit it, and apologize. Little likelihood of that though, is there.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.