Post office job for a mom with elementary school child ?

Can a mom with elementary school kids work as a post office employee? I mean does the post office schedules work for moms with young kids?  I have seen they have part time and full time jobs.  So  do part time jobs mean scattered hours or regular daily hours? 

Part-time depends on needs. Some places might need someone extra for peak hours at the counter. They might need something else. Post office jobs are notorious for very long waiting lists to get hired. Same goes for a lot of govt jobs. Unless a local office has a specific need & not union, not civil service waiting lists. You probably need to be looking elsewhere if you want to find something within the coming year.

• Judith

It won't work if you want to be a carrier.  I had a friend with children who worked with the post office and she was let go because she had to take off work too much due to her children's illnesses and other reasons.

You work when they want you to work; not when it is convenient for you.  Just like any other job.

• Judy

Part time means a specific set of hours they need someone for, not just whenever you can work.

• Etta

My post office has part time workers and they work 9am-1om or 1pm-5pm but they also work during school holiday breaks and sometimes a Saturday. but to get a job in the post office you will need to grade qualifications as there is so many people applying for these jobs

They could but it depends on your flexibility. Can you work 5-10am?  They can use you.  Probably not if you want to work 10-2.  Full time might be 5-1:30 or something.