Anonymous

I want to graduate high school, but my parents won’t let me?

I’m 17, and became a senior. I met all graduation requirements. My school offered nightly classes where you can finish classes at night to get ahead and thanks to that I met all graduation requirements.

My next plan is to go to community college but my parents want to me to stay in that miserable high school I go to.

Did you ask your parents why?

1. Do they think you're not mature enough for college classes, or that you're not academically ready for them? 

Unlike high school, where the teachers tell you everything you need to know in class, in college most of the work is done outside of lecture. For every hour spent in lecture, you need to spend two or three hours outside of lecture, reading assignments, doing homework, researching and writing papers, etc. You are responsible for everything covered in the assignments, whether or not the professor teaches it in the lecture. Are you ready for that?

2. Perhaps it's just logistics. Do you have safe, reliable transportation to get to and from the college, or will they have to drive you? Is there safe public transportation? Will you need to travel on your own at night? 

3. Perhaps they had their hearts set on shipping you off to university next year, instead of hanging around the house attending community college. 

4. On the other hand, perhaps they're concerned about the expenses? High school is free; community college usually costs money.

5. Or are they just those "rah! rah! high school homecoming and senior prom, white flowers in the girls' hair at graduation" sort of people, who don't want you to miss out on the "best years of your life"?

Whatever the reason, sit them down and talk to them about it. If you don't want to be treated like a child, don't act like a child. Get information about the community college, what course you want to do, what the costs are, what scholarships may be available, what the advantages are, and how it will save money in the long run. Enlist the help of your school counselor to help you articulate the advantages (maybe arrange a meeting between your parents and the school counselor). Agree that you will still "walk" with your high school class at graduation. Do your best to convince your parents that this is the right thing to do. 

And listen to their reasoning when they tell you why they want you to stay in high school. Don't just dismiss their concerns; try to address them.

It's definitely a tricky situation, but I would try to talk to your school counselor about it. If they think you graduating early would be a good idea then you at least have another person on your side.