Anonymous

Changing my major in the junior year/having a breakdown/need advice?

I'm in my junior year of college and I'm majoring in Psychology BA. I picked that as a default major in my freshman year, hoping I would quickly come to realize what I really want to do with my life. I have come to really hate Psychology and I don't really want to be a Psychologist at all when I think about it. I am thinking of changing my major to Computer Science or Business Administration.

I took one semester off thinking about different majors. The thing is I feel like it is so incredibly late to change my major, and I just feel like an idiot. I looked at all the classes I would have to take in the computer science and business major and I feel sick to my stomach. I feel like my last two years would have been a waste. I don't know what to do. Will my academic adviser think I'm a complete loser for changing my major so late? Is this even possible? I am so nervous about this decision. Please, I need some advice.

• fcas80

First, take a deep breath.  You are not a loser.  And you can get  through this.

Next, think about this:  It is impossible at age 18 to know what you want to do with the rest of your life.  And you may change your mind several times throughout your life.  Many successful people do.

Next, consider this:  Your job is not to worry about the feelings of your academic advisor, who if he or she really cares about you, wants what it best for you.

If you have learned as a junior that you hate psychology, consider yourself extremely lucky.  Wouldn't it be worse not to learn this until you are two years intp a first job?

Yes, it will take some catching up to switch majors as a junior.  Maybe it will require a fifth year in college.  But what is the alternative - to continue in a major you hate?

However, now think long and hard about the difference between computer science and business.  Business includes a number of separate disciplines:  management, strategic analysis, finance, marketing, etc.  Computer science includes programming, network design, computer architecture, information systems, etc.  Which of these truly interests you, and which of these would you like to have a career in?  Perhaps it would help to talk to both a  college business advisor and a college computer advisor;  this is what they are here for, to help you evaluate their disciplines.

Take another deep breath.  You can get through this.  I wish you good luck.

Get a grip. You have lots of options.

1. You CAN change your major as long as there is room in that major at your university.  The only way to know is to ask your academic advisor.

2. Changing your major at this point will cause you to stay longer at the university.  It could be a year more or longer, depending on how much of what you've already taken will apply towards the new major.

3. You can also look at doing a minor in one of these programs with an eye toward graduating and getting into a Masters degree program in your new area of interest. For example, there are graduate programs specifically for non-Accounting majors that place people at the Big 5 accounting firms.

4. A background in psychology is actually good if you are interested in marketing or advertising.  "Business admin" is a very broad term, so think about what part of business your interested in.  Is is marketing and PR or is it accounting?

5. Have you taken any CS or programming classes.  This is a great field IF you have the ability.  Taking the first two "intro to" foundation classes for this major would be the first step in determining whether or not this is a good path to follow.

• MS

It's certainly possible to change your major at this point, and it's not unheard of for students to do so.  However it will very likely take you longer to graduate, so you should plan on an extra semester or even a year.

• Expat

It's not too late but it is late, so you'll likely need one or 2 more semesters beyond the regular 4 years. Also, if you're switching to computer science I strongly suggest you get a BS and not a BA. No one is really looking for people with a BA in CS. No, your advisor will not think you're a loser. Believe me, you're not the first person to change their mind at your stage. Just do what you need to do. Good luck!