Which sentence is grammatically correct and why?

1. The inflation in our country has recently increased. 

2. Inflation in our country has recently increased. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Inflation (no article) when discussing the general idea (even if you mean it in the context of increasing prices of goods and services over time rather than inflation of a balloon, say).

You would use "an" or "the" inflation if you were specifying a particular period of inflation, like "the inflation of prices in the 1920s was enormous", or "An inflation of prices occurred in the mid-1970s after the OPEC oil embargo".  In both cases, inflation was a problem for the economy.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No.2 is the normal form.   Though you might also find: "Inflation in our country has increased recently."

• 1 month ago

Since the word inflation means a general increase in the prices of goods and services, and fall in the purchasing value of money, here's some better examples:

- The rate of inflation in our country has recently risen. 

- Inflation rates in our country continue to rise.  

Your sentences are kind of saying "the general increase has recently increased." 

• 1 month ago

i think so .....................

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Both are technically correct, but the first one sounds more natural

• 1 month ago

Pretty sure both are correct. 

• 1 month ago

As far as I know, you can remove the word “the” in a lot of situations just like this one but I think the first one sounds better

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.