Can I adopt my 14 year old friend? ?

Hi, I am 18 years old and financially stable enough to support me and my friend. I've been talking with her and she bought up the idea of me legally adopting her. I know that in order for me to foster, I'd have to be 21, but I'm not too sure about adoption. I know I'd have to take it to court and face her father (of which is no biggie) but I wanted to know if I'd be able to even attempt to adopt her before I take it to court. 

No - in order to adopt, you have to be old enough to reasonably be the parent of the child being adopted. 

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.

Your mentions of 'court' should tell you that you must get proper legal advice from a fully qualified local law person.  Laws about that sort of thing vary from place to place across the world.

At an absolute guess, I would be surprised if the laws where you are would allow an 18-year-old single person to adopt.  I would be even more surprised if they would allow an 18-year-old to adopt a youngster as old as 14.  But those ideas are pure speculation. Get that fully qualified legal advice face-to-face.

• helene

No way. Even if she were available for adoption, which she is not, the courts are not depraved or stupid enough to put a 14-year-old girl under the thumb of an 18-year-old boy.

If the girl is being abused, you call cps or go to the police. You do not get to marry her or be her daddy. That's not a solution."No biggie" facing her father? Mine would have knocked you through a wall. Get over yourself.