Is the opinion of Pope Francis favoring legal civil unions for LGBTQ couples earth-shattering? Or "meh"?

And all you people look at Playboy for the articles. Hypocrites.

Sorry, the above "update" was supposed to go with another question, not this one. 

Answer:  Its a business decision. 

Additional detail:  Religion is a business,   recent same sex marriage votes have shown religions that the general population has shifted stand on homosexuality.

In addition attendance to church has fallen badly then they are also loosing people who express a interest in being a active part of the faith. 

In other words their business model is failing, they need to make changes.

I would put money on after this being accepted that the next thing the Catholics change will be the roll of women in the church.   Again done as they are seeing  society appointing women into the highest business rolls.

He is the worst pope sins Sixtus V. 

• garry

no hes figured out everyone is equal , after all where does the money go to get married by a priest..we dont burn people at the stake because there nit religious do we , well in the 1400's the spanished them , under hericy .

why so negative? you left out the option "fantastic" - and that's what it is.

All catholic priests are pedophiles.

Edit: Very rude, Stephen/display name! And what is a cis gender?

Don't pretend you don't know that pedophilia is mandatory for anyone considering to become a catholic priest. Unfortunately for them, they are still not allowed to marry 8 year old choir boys yet.

Stephen: I am a victim of Yahoo Answer thought censorship, but I stand by my views.

If this is not official Vatican policy, then how do you explain the fact that all of their priests are child molestors?

A filthy bunch, no wonder they invite the homos along.

Stephen: Why is it so important for you to defend your pedo friends in stupid costumes?

I like pope Francis, he's the cool pope. He realises that gay people are also just people deserving of love and acceptance like anyone else. That whole passage of the bible "though shall not lay with young boys as you lay with women" refered to pedophiles, not gays anyway. He probably read the bible in its original language so he would know.

Finally someone who goes with the times. He is the best thing that has happened to the public image of the catholic church in centuries. 

• Sky

It's just one more example--or a continuing example--of the hypocrisy and bigotry of the catholic church and religion overall.

"Is the opinion of Pope Francis favoring legal civil unions for LGBTQ couples earth-shattering"

It's earth shattering. Consider the world in which the Pope operates, conservatism, extremism. Ultra-conservatism is built on indifference and intolerance, of those that THEY have deemed sinners, history is littered with such examples. This shouldn't be a big surprise given the Popes Jesuit background, and that he's been weeding out the extremist factions of the church’s leadership for years now. The Pope's announcement does not change the church’s teachings on lgbtq people, it does however (if followed) change the churches treatment of lgbtq people within the church and how the church treats lgbtq people within the family and public square.

For me it is earth shattering. At the outset, I know that a civil union is not the way to go and that only full marriage equality is acceptable. But on the other hand I am glad that the Pope took this step because it is a necessary first step. 

I am an out Catholic. I left the church and for a while was part of a gay church. But it did not feel like home and I came back to the Catholic Church with the idea that I want to work for change from within. I actively campaigned for same sex marriage and I am the kind of person that calls my representatives to support gay rights. Every day I pray the rosary. Some of my daily prayers are always that the church be lgbt friendly and have gay rights. I support dignity USA. Google it if you don’t know what it is. Anyway, the church is losing people and frankly they need to retain their lgbt flock. Its just bad policy to be anti lgbt. Anyway, the reality is that most Catholic lay people and priests are for gay rights, its just mainly the bishops and cardinals that are not. So this move by the Pope really reflects where the majority of the church is anyway. 

There is no pleasing LGBTQ.