Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Is it true that a witch or wizard 🧙‍♂️ or devil 👿 cannot balance a book on their head?

If you place a book on someone’s head and it falls is this proof of sorcery?

Are sorcerers unable to balance a book on their head?

Their hats are pointy so I could see where it would be a problem

• Zirp

Are all non-sorcerers able to? Nope

• Zac Z

Yes, absolutely!

Witches or wizards (or any practitioners of saucery, really) can only balance saucers on their head.

I thought that was obvious.

It may just mean the top of their head is not flat.  This sounds as goofy as the idea you toss a suspected witch in a lake.  If she sinks she's innocent (although also dead).

Since none of these creatures are real, you can invent any sort of limitations for your fiction.  Just don't be too silly.

• Marli

Traditionally, wise women/witches  and sorcerers/wizards are humans who have learned arcane or occult magic. They have the abilities and inabilites of any randomly picked group of humans to carry a Bible (that would've been the book used) on their heads.

Your should know the average parish church lectern/pulpit Bible was very large, wide and heavy - not a small-print paperback. I doubt anyone, not even the pastor or the most saintly parishioners could have balanced it on theirs heads for more than a second.

Devils, being either spirit beings or non-existent, can't be caught by inferior powered creatures like humans, and so have not balanced Bibles on their heads. If the Puritans, the Catholics or the writers of the "Malleus Maleficarum" said devils and devil worshippers couldn't bear God's word on their brains, they weren't using their own brains well.

Since these are not physical beings, the rules regarding their physical abilities are all theory/fiction.

I can’t balance a book on my head very well, but that hardly means I’m not an ordinary person.