Why are K-Cup Coffee pods so expensive?

If I were to buy a 12 pack of K-Cup Coffee pods, it usually costs around $10. So, if I were drink two cups a day, that would only last me six days. But if I were to buy a big 30 oz can of Maxwell House or Foldgers grounds, it would cost only around $7. And a 30 oz can will last me about a month if I had two cups of coffee per day. So K-Cups are significantly more expensive! Why they heck do they charge so much of these K-Cup pods?

From a manufacturer's side, those pods cost more to form , but are more profitable to sell. Convenience is one among the explanations why small shops, like 7-eleven, are costlier that supermarkets. The pods I manufacture are even costlier than the typical market, because they're usda organic mushroom coffee pods.

• RICK

you pay for convince, but at $10 for a  box of 12 you are grossly  overpaying. I spend $3.99 for 12 at the local supermarket,  the local discount store sells a box of 48 (various  blends) for $9.99

Short answer? They charge a lot because they can get it!

Keurig / Dr. Pepper Inc.  2019 Net Earnings: $1.7 Billion. 26% profit margin. 

Pretty good!

They have a good invention, it's convenient, and people are willing to pay for it. You are correct, that it's way cheaper to buy regular coffee rather than K-cups. 

As an interesting side story - Keurig started in Massachusetts and came out with the K-cup concept all the way back in 1992. It wasn't a hit right away, and the initial machines had problems. The company floundered a bit and one of the co-founders ended up selling out his interest for only $50,000 in 1997. 

I spoke with an owner of a coffee business in Massachusetts who told me he had the opportunity to buy (or at least become a major investor in) Keurig in those early days and passed on it. He says it's one of his biggest professional regrets. But of course at the time, it's future was far from certain.

Fast forward... Green Mountain Coffee Roasters of Vermont became a major investor. Eventually Keurig Green Mountain merged with Dr. Pepper Snapple, in a deal worth $19 billion forming the 3rd largest beverage group in North America after Coke and Pepsi. 

• It's called paying for convenience.

Because people will pay the price for the convenience. You can get a reusable k cup and filters where you can use your own coffee and be much more cost effective.

Because people are stupid and lazy, but also, people are smart and industrious. The twain meet everyday but insomuch, there's a glass ceiling/floor that keeps them from breeding. "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer." No, the industrious make stupid **** for the lazy to buy. Same difference.

• kswck2

You are paying for the Convenience. 

It's the same case with printers and ink and razors and blades. You buy a coffee maker that sold close to the production cost and then the company makes their money off of you buying the cups. 

• Anton

You can get your Maxwell House coffee in K-pods, at 35 cents per cup. -- https://www.amazon.com/Maxwell-House-Blend-Coffee-...

Ground Maxwell House is 21 cents an ounce -- https://www.amazon.com/Maxwell-House-Coffee-Origin... -- about 10 cents for a cup of coffee

50 cents a day is NOT "so expensive."

If all you drink is one type of coffee, it better to use the ground coffee.

If you like a variety of coffees, you want the K-pods.

cause they like to make money off it