What does it mean if a programmer works for the government? ?

I think I been watching too much movies where people have cool skill sets and go on cool missions as they work for the government. Please give me a taste of reality into what it's really like working for them and what's pay like as a programmer. What you do, if you did it how was your experience?

Pay scales vary.  It also depends upon whether you work directly for the government or for a contractor.  In both cases you go to an office.  You sit in front of a computer.  You either eat lunch in the break room or go out for lunch.  You have meetings.  You leave for the day.  It's no different than any other programming gig.

Doesm't mean anything - I work an Information Technology job for a government

• EddieJ

The people you see portrayed on such movies are not computer programmers -- they are tech wizards, often hackers -- who are assigned to operational teams.  

Most government computer programmers have very ordinary jobs.

I suspect that you already know all this.