Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

Will I need to upgrade my plan to fibre optic broadband to experience faster internet connection? ?

The current internet is slow, it connects from a wireless router to the ADSL filter to the mains socket, the line engineers are installing fibre optic cables to every house in the area.

Would I be seeing any changes in internet speed, or would I have to upgrade? 

Depends on what is causing the slowness, if its just you have the fastest adsl can give but you have usage that is more than that gives then yeah fibre optics is is the best next step.

If you have old equipment that gives poor wifi upgrading that may give some benefit.  To be honest if a company gave me the option of a full fibre connection I would bite their hand off or suck any organ to get it.

• David

Unless you upgrade you probably won’t see any difference to your own connection as you would still be limited to the ADSL technology.

Definitely you would see an improvement if you subscribed to the fiber service.  ADSL was an attempt to leverage old copper telephone wires that were installed around the time of WW2 to carry analog voice, not digital data.   It was a technology that the telephone companies pulled out their backsides to keep from losing business to the cable companies.  

Fiber is 21st century technology that is intended to carry huge amounts of digital data.  From a technology perspective ADSL is a horse and buggy, fiber is a sports car.

I currently have 250ish Mbps using cable, I'd switch to fiber in a heartbeat if I could get it.